Pick 18 & 20

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
sash
On the Rookie List

Pick 18 & 20

Post by sash »

Have already discussed our pick number 2 with either going for Gumbleton or Hansen unless Gibbs is available i guess. But I would like to discuss picks 18 & 20. As it might be hard at this time of year to really know which players will be available around these selections its more of the thing of what type?

I would think especially if we get a KPP with the 1st pick to go with midfeilders with these picks. But do we go with a tough tackling perhaps inside player or a classy outside type. I'm not to real fancy on another half back flank type palyer already got enough of them, plus they cant really play key forwards every week. (Solomon, McPhee, Lovett Murray, Bolton if you like) get my drift anyway we don't need anymore. Also dont need to draft key forwards.

So I'm feeling like if we pick up two midfeilders with those picks aswell as a KPP with the first I'd be happy. Just a little stuck on what sort of midfeilder. I would like strength, get that tackle pressure kind of team sydney, freo and crows have. But we cant afford to have the midfield with no skill we had in the last couple of years.

Discuss. I know you have to go with best available players but surely there should be good midfeilders around that area.
Look forward to what you's have to say.
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

easy solution, why don't you get one of each. A CHB, another JJ and another akermanis style.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

I reckon they should go with a strength midfielder and a ball-magnet. Theyve got one in Jobe but another would be handy.

A strength player would be good as well. There shoudl be some of that type available at pick 18 & 20 but a CHB is a critical area they should address with pick 2. (This is on the proviso they dont plan to use Lee).
bowzer
Top Up Player

Post by bowzer »

i think we need to go with a classy midfielder with good delivery skills which might be hard to find at the 18/20 pick.

but we've already got the likes of Sam Lonergan who is a in and under gritty type player and another rookie whos been labelled abit of a hardnut i think maybe heath hocking? not sure.

need more classy midfielders with only Camporeale, Mcveigh (who barely gets a run in the midfield) and Dyson (who spends more time warming the god damn bench) who look any good by foot.
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Post by nmgilbert »

We need a classy/speedy midfielder type to come thru. In Gus (the playmaker), Stanton (the runner), and Watson (the Extractor) we have some very good midfield attributes but I suppose we lack someone with genuine leg speed that can run the lines and finish with perfect delivery. I think Gus will develop into the matchwinner type and Stanton and Watson have developed well recently.

But will any of these 3 ever be in the same class as Cousins and Judd? I doubt it. Not only that, most teams need 5 or 6 midfielders capable of rotating on and off the ball but we dont really seem to have enough of the younger midfielders to do that in the next few years. I have no doubt picks 18 and 20 will bag us some goody's. After all Daniel Kerr was taken at pick 19 a few years ago. It would be awesome to get a couple of blokes like him in the side.
Sartorius
Club Captain

Post by Sartorius »

I think we should take the best possible midfielder with our second pick if we have taken a tall with our first. Whether they are inside or outside players, we need a classy midfielder full stop.
saladin
Regular Senior Player

Post by saladin »

i think we'll end up with another pick between 2 and 18.......... and it will be used on the opposite type to pick#2
Stealth Bomber
Top Up Player

Post by Stealth Bomber »

There is supposed to be some pretty good midfield depth around 15-20 in this draft. Some names that have been bobbing up are Shaun Grigg, Tom Hislop, and Daniel Connors. I don't really know anything about them other than that Hislop seems to be the highest rated and may go as high as 12/13. Hislop had a really good U18s tournament playing for Tasmania.

I would like a tall with pick 2 (though my mind changes daily as to which one) and two midfielders with 18 and 20.

All the really good KPPs in this draft are expected to go before then.
No longer ambivalent about Mark Bolton.
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Post by andrewb »

We've got a glut of midfielders coming through in the next few years with stants, dyson, monf, dempsey, jobe, winders, etc all getting good game time. I'd go for a skillful midfielder and another tall (maybe a developer).

Got to start thinking about drafting tall forwards as well - lucas and lloyd are getting on a bit.