Crows to get Gibbs, no matter what.

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Talking to an avid Crows supporter today and he brought up the Gibbs thing and how Adelaide are beating their chest trying to put off the other clubs.

Adelaide to woo Gibbs back would have to either trade an arm or a leg as such to get any club to do a trade or win the wooden spoon to grab him in the PSD with a number one pick, timing it impeccably for when he's out of contract.

The current rules would see him at the mercy of the PSD in future that would not necessarily get him to where he wants without breaking the rlues of the draft.

The thing is too which this avid Crows man agreed with me is that a young kid landing a chance to play in the AFL and forge a career with a great traditional club such as Essendon, knowing its the luck of the draw where you go would be pretty damned happy and honoured to be there.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

F111 wrote:
More to the point, isnt Adeliades public commentry a breach of the AFL Draft rules in so far as they are trying to deter a player from being drafted by another club?
Is there such a rule? I've never heard of it, and there's nothing in the official AFL Laws of the Game that has anything to do with drafting. It might be a rule of general courtesy that clubs shouldn't deliberately sabotage other clubs' drafting by making such comments, but i'm not sure if there's an official rule saying clubs can't do what Adelaide are doing.
As far as I know yes there is a clear ruling from the AFL that prohibits any player and or club from openly influencing the draft. For example, players cannot write to clubs saying that they dont want to be drafted etc

In my opinion Adelaide is effectively doing the same thing
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

bombercol wrote:
Adelaide to woo Gibbs back would have to either trade an arm or a leg as such to get any club to do a trade or win the wooden spoon to grab him in the PSD with a number one pick, timing it impeccably for when he's out of contract.

which we all know carlton will have again :wink:
billyduckworth
Club Captain

Post by billyduckworth »

The whole thing reminds quite a lot of Nathan Buckley when he first went to Brisbane. Didn't that figjam crap on about how good he was and how he would only spend 2 years at the Bears and then come back to Melbourne to play for a "successful" club? Who had the last laugh on that one?
bueller
High Draft Pick

Post by bueller »

Rotorog wrote:
Gossy wrote:Think it is just Adelaide trying to scare opposition into not drafting him. Not too sure about Carlton, but nearly anywhere else he will stay. Not many players have left Essendon after coming from interstate, I wouldnt be worried about him leaving if we got him
Names like Greg Anderson, Gavin Wanganeen and Mikey Prior ring a bell, Gossy??
And going back even further Paul Weston, Leon Baker.
patoman
On the Rookie List

Post by patoman »

weren't we warned that we were walking a fine line a few years back when we got some kid..... I think it might've been Davies when he said he only wanted to come to us???:?:
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

Davies? He was a "project" player. Didn't go through the Draft Camp... didn't play TAC... straight out of high school.

Did nothing...

(Hope I'm thinking of the right player here)
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

Stuff him, If he want's to stay in South Australia, there would be a number of SANFL clubs that will take him.

If he wants to mix it with the big boys and earn the big dollars in the AFL, he has to take what he gets given to him.

Dont bite the hand that feeds you kid. Cause no sooner you do that you will find yourself playing for the Bendigo (or other such affiliate), ressies. That isn't a fast track to super stardom, just ask Cupido (if you can find him)
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

dom_105 wrote:Stuff him, If he want's to stay in South Australia, there would be a number of SANFL clubs that will take him.

If he wants to mix it with the big boys and earn the big dollars in the AFL, he has to take what he gets given to him.

Dont bite the hand that feeds you kid. Cause no sooner you do that you will find yourself playing for the Bendigo (or other such affiliate), ressies. That isn't a fast track to super stardom, just ask Cupido (if you can find him)
Of course he can find him...Cupido tried to sell Gibbs' mum some new blinds last week :lol: :lol: :lol:
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012