Aker vs draft picks vs $$$

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
tom9779
Club Captain

Aker vs draft picks vs $$$

Post by tom9779 »

interesting how many people seem so concerned about trading draft picks for aker.

Can someone please name 5 top essendon players that we have recruited using tips within the top 20?

including so called super drafts like 2001.

most of our top players have come late in the draft or off the rookie list!

IMO the most dangerous part about getting aker, is getting him at too high a financial cost(due to salary cap). forget draft picks. players are more than aware that they have a very limited time to live the dream and make $$$ out of footy. so they are going to look for the biggest slice of the salary cap pie.

aker isn't moving on from brisbane because he craves premiership success. he is moving to cash in.

trading a high draft pick isn't my concern. over paying a player is.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

You have to pay nearly 100% of the cap anyway. We won't overpay him. Acker has always been underpaid. He will get what he deserves to get paid. With Hird hanging up the boots in 12 months that will free up some cash and if Campo goes at the same time it will free up more.

Just get him to Essendon please.
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

im with bert,

with our current list we MUST have excess capacity in our payments, so that is not a real concern, and by the time the young guns of the team are becoming stars and demanding more money, then aker will be on the way out, thus giving us room to increase there pay as they deserve it.
tom9779
Club Captain

Post by tom9779 »

i reckon we will end up with aker, and it will be awesome.

ever since we lost hardwick because of player payments, I thought thats what cost us in 01. i cringe whenever i hear about blockbuster trades worth stacks of cash.

they only work for the interstate clubs because they have more money that the rest of the comp to spend on them.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

ZRS wrote:im with bert,

with our current list we MUST have excess capacity in our payments, so that is not a real concern, and by the time the young guns of the team are becoming stars and demanding more money, then aker will be on the way out, thus giving us room to increase there pay as they deserve it.
I'm not so sure. We have many players who are probably overpaid relative to performance at the club at the moment. Poor performance doesn't equal excess capacity in the salary cap immediately, but it should start equalling it from now on in.

That's why we're seeing guys like JJ and Solomon being squeezed this year; they've obviously been asked to take a substantial pay cut, and in the case of Solomon that's fair enough. As for JJ, he has the right to feel slightly aggrieved.
ZRS
Regular Senior Player

Post by ZRS »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
ZRS wrote:im with bert,

I'm not so sure. We have many players who are probably overpaid relative to performance at the club at the moment. Poor performance doesn't equal excess capacity in the salary cap immediately, but it should start equalling it from now on in.

That's why we're seeing guys like JJ and Solomon being squeezed this year; they've obviously been asked to take a substantial pay cut, and in the case of Solomon that's fair enough. As for JJ, he has the right to feel slightly aggrieved.
i hear what your saying, but even with us paying too much to some players (solly) if we are paying more than the minimum under the cap at the moment we are crazy.
rama_fan
Champion of Essendon

Post by rama_fan »

Lucas
Lloyd
Stanton
Monfries
McVeigh
spadera
Regular Senior Player

Post by spadera »

We dont need to save cap space.
There are only about 5 players at the club who deserve what they get. The rest are overpaid chumps.
Hurry up and get Aker. Give up whatever you have to. Hopefully Solly or Welsh is included in any trade.
Brumaz
High Draft Pick

Post by Brumaz »

personally i would rather the pick. this is supposed to be a good year. why not have 3 good players out of it insted of 2....
A Smith and Wesson beat 4 aces