Ross Lyon

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Ross Lyon

Post by s'dreams »

Ross Lyon sacked as Fremantle coach
By Jake Niall and Kim Hagdorn
August 20, 2019 — 11.53am

Lyon’s dismissal comes at after missing finals for a fourth consecutive year and just nine wins this season.

Lyon has led Fremantle to just 31 wins in his last 93 engagements since deep into the 2015 season when the Dockers sat on top of the AFL ladder at round 19 and outright premiership favourites.

His dismissal ends a turbulent past 18 months of behind the scenes turmoil with supports staff and departure of star on-baller Lachlan Neale to Brisbane where the big possession winning clearances ace is a top Brownlow medal candidate with the ladder-topping Lions.

Fremantle staff were told on Tuesday morning that the head coach for the past eight seasons would not continue, despite Lyon being controversially contracted for next year.

He is understood to be on around $1million for the final season of a five-year deal extended in March of 2016.

Lyon, who took Fremantle into a 2013 grand final loss in only his second year in charge after crossing in sensational fashion from St Kilda, will not handle the Dockers in their last home-and-away clash of the season against Port Adelaide on Sunday.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
F111
Essendon Legend

Re: Ross Lyon

Post by F111 »

What goes around comes around.

With Caracella in place, I hope we're safe. ;)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

We should pick him up

Get rid of Mark Harvey and put Rossy Lyon there

Only kidding
Essendunny
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Serially underachiever
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

rockhole wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:44 pm Serially underachiever
I thought he replaced Cornflakes at the saints...
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

NO

NO

and

NO
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Pregame chat on 774 about Ross Lyon basically said that Lyon has a great relationship with his very best players and an ordinary one with players 11-44 and the staff.

Reporting that he was basically sacked to avoid a big walkout of Freo talent.

We don't need that nonsense.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

s'dreams wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:46 pm Pregame chat on 774 about Ross Lyon basically said that Lyon has a great relationship with his very best players and an ordinary one with players 11-44 and the staff.

Wish I'd listened to that. Any players coached by Ross involved in the discussion?
I did hear Nick Reivoldt the other night. He said that was an "external" view of Ross, but actually Ross didn't favour the "stars". Nick said what Ross did do was favour those who had a go, and had no time for the ones that didn't work hard or make the most of their talent.
But either way, I don't want him at EFC. I don't think he'd be the right coach for where we're at right now.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

nudder12 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:00 pm
s'dreams wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:46 pm Pregame chat on 774 about Ross Lyon basically said that Lyon has a great relationship with his very best players and an ordinary one with players 11-44 and the staff.

Wish I'd listened to that. Any players coached by Ross involved in the discussion?
I did hear Nick Reivoldt the other night. He said that was an "external" view of Ross, but actually Ross didn't favour the "stars". Nick said what Ross did do was favour those who had a go, and had no time for the ones that didn't work hard or make the most of their talent.
But either way, I don't want him at EFC. I don't think he'd be the right coach for where we're at right now.
All the players rumored to leave Freo were named... Hill, Kersten and at least 3 others named.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

s'dreams wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:52 am

All the players rumored to leave Freo were named... Hill, Kersten and at least 3 others named.
So they're the ones that don't work hard enough maybe? Axes to grind.
But did 774 have commentary from any actual players that were coached by Ross?
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

I’ll have an Axe to Grind if Lyon gets our Coach’s Job ahead of anybody! :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& 🤢🤮
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

grassy1 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:27 am I’ll have an Axe to Grind if Lyon gets our Coach’s Job ahead of anybody! :-& :-& :-& :-& :-& 🤢🤮
I'll be horrified if our Club chooses Lyon.
If....IF....Woosha isn't coach next year, it'll be Rutten or Caracella.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Then I’ll be horrified if Rutten gets the job ahead of Cara,.....
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

All this talk of coach replacement for next year is ridiculous.

We have the succession plan in place with Caracella on board in 2021 should Worsfold not go on beyond his current contract.

When you think about the injuries we have had to key players, corrupt umpiring against Collingwood effectively costing us 8 points we could nearly finished top 4.

Last night showed that players are on board with Worsfold.

It was AMAZING how many players last night were the boys that played through the year of the ban.

Walla Brown Parish Mckernan Langford Hartley Francis McKenna Merrett Mason Redman Ambrose

Now that is credit to Worsfold.

As far as I am concerned Lyon is a club wrecker. He wrecked the Saints, he back stabbed Mark Harvey and Harvey was who had that young playing well and had done the hard yards. So Robbo and those entertaining this perennial loser can simply GAGF.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

....and to be fair to John Worsfold,if he wants to carry on next year and we agree,the job’s his.

The only problem would be,if his family did want to go home,he’d probably have to go with them,or remain in Melbourne without them.That would be harder to do,than coaching I reckon,.....
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

nudder12 wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:10 am
s'dreams wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:52 am

So they're the ones that don't work hard enough maybe? Axes to grind.
But did 774 have commentary from any actual players that were coached by Ross?
Well the board didn't have an axe to grind - but they sacked him. They did talk to Pavlich and Goddard (but off air) and stated that these players were fully supportive.

FAirfax also reported a strange quirk in contracts under Lyon. If you were placed in the top 5 of the B&F, you got $50K added to your salary. Issue being that this wasn't a one off bonus, but ongoing. But problem is that your best players are already on top dollar and over 54 or 5 years, an extra $200-250K would be added to the salaries of the top players. the $250K per year to operate this scheme basically being the cost of a player (so oover 5 years, 5 players wages). And note, this was 10 years ago where the total wasn't the $12.5M it is today.

Upshot was - reasonable players were being pushed out after 3-5 years to be replaced by new recruits, while a few "best" players were kept on (remember - the coach had a big part in determining the votes for the best players). Leaving a top heavy team with no middle.

Shouldn't complain too much, we got BJ because of the salary cap squeeze.