Trade Dealings with Port

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
nmgilbert
On the Rookie List

Trade Dealings with Port

Post by nmgilbert »

Article in todays age that Port were keen to offer pick 5 and a player for pick 1 or 2 in this years draft as they are keen to secure bryce gibbs.

One name that is constantly mentioned in trade talks with Port is Salopek. Is it possible that pick 5 and Salopek would be worth it? The top players in the draft that we'd be interested in are probably Gibbs, Selwood, Hansen, Gumbleton (these are the ones i know of who fit the key defender or midfielder description that we need anyway) so with pick 5 its very likely we'd get our hands on one them.

Are their any other players at Port worth getting our hands on - Danyle Pearce would fit into our side but i doubt they'd trade him.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

I'd rather keep the pick. Then come draft day, we have a choice as to what area we would like to fill. CHB, the middle or up forward.

I would want either Gibbs or Hansen, both of whom will be gone by 5, and they are players than can fill key areas for us in the future.
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

danstar84 wrote:I'd rather keep the pick. Then come draft day, we have a choice as to what area we would like to fill. CHB, the middle or up forward.

I would want either Gibbs or Hansen, both of whom will be gone by 5, and they are players than can fill key areas for us in the future.
Couldn't agree more. We are going to get a gun at 2 but not sure what we can get at 5. Hansen or Gibbs look like they could be all time greats of this club and to throw that away would be silly.
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Would be very disappointed if EFC traded our number two pick.

If Gibbs is passed over at number 1 we must be ready to grab him, and if Gibbs goes at number 1 we have to have the next pick to grab the best KPP.

If we're looking at obtaining another earlier pick, say in the top 15 or so, then I think we're better served to trading a player or a player plus a lower pick to get it that way.

This in my opinion is where Andrew Welsh could be a key and why there has been a lot of opinion posted here as to why he would be trade bait.

For all the pain this year, we have to keep our number two pick and give ourselves the best opportunity to secure the best prospect that fits our needs.
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

I really can't see us trading n.2. Whilst member opionion shouldn't determine decision making, I reckon there would be a riot if we traded it away, in this case the members have it correct. Too much pain has been endured to pas over Gibbs, and co.
Gossy7
Club Captain

Post by Gossy7 »

Keep the pick easily.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

Keep the pick. 3 picks in the top 20 could really help the club rebuild for years to come. Bombers for premiers 2009? :roll: or sooner? :D
andrewb
Regular Senior Player

Re: Trade Dealings with Port

Post by andrewb »

nmgilbert wrote:Is it possible that pick 5 and Salopek would be worth it?
Damn right it would be.

Getting Salopek (a ready made #6 pick midfielder who has his best years ahead of him) plus pick #5 for pick #1/#2? I'd do it for sure.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: Trade Dealings with Port

Post by swoodley »

nmgilbert wrote:Is it possible that pick 5 and Salopek would be worth
This has all the hallmarks of a classic "damned if we do, damned if we don't" scenario

On the strength of the hype surrounding this draft, giving up the number two pick seems a poor decision even to get Salopek and number 5 pick.

We rarely get these chances for high picks and I reckon we should roll the dice and go for the best player available at number two.

And why would we want to help port adelaide anyway?
Mrs Mercuri
Champion of Essendon

Post by Mrs Mercuri »

Keep the pick, this is the first top 5 pick we have had since 1997 so we should make the most of it no matter how tempting pick 5 and Salopek is.
Madden
Club Captain

Post by Madden »

I'll be furious if they give up the pick. We have a real opportunity to get Gibbs as its looking increasingly more likely that Carlton will go for a tall.

Word is that this is one of the best draft picks ever. If he as good as the blokes who went top three in the previous 'best draft ever' (Hodge, Ball, Judd), then we would be idiots to give him up.
Last edited by Madden on Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tamworth Bomber
Top Up Player

Post by Tamworth Bomber »

Absolutely must keep our picks. Player trades - go for it
beer-man
Club Captain

Post by beer-man »

On the other hand, dropping 3 spots and getting two players that we need is also an attractive thought.

If Port are keen for this deal, they will pay over the odds to do so.

What if we get Gibbs at two and he does a Buckley and the club is forced to trade him in two years, what a waste of time and effort that would be.

If Carlton don't pick him up you would think that his desire to play in SA would be a big factor given the hype surrounding the player. I would hate us to pick him up and then face a situation where he is off contract and looking to go into the PSD because we can't secure a deal for him.

Dropping 3 spots, if done carefully, may benifit all parties, and be of exceptional value to this club.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Post by swoodley »

beer-man wrote:On the other hand, dropping 3 spots and getting two players that we need is also an attractive thought.

What if we get Gibbs at two and he does a Buckley and the club is forced to trade him in two years, what a waste of time and effort that would be.

If Carlton don't pick him up you would think that his desire to play in SA would be a big factor given the hype surrounding the player. I would hate us to pick him up and then face a situation where he is off contract and looking to go into the PSD because we can't secure a deal for him.

Dropping 3 spots, if done carefully, may benifit all parties, and be of exceptional value to this club.
It would be a lot harder for Gibbs to "do a Buckley" unless one of the SA clubs was on the bottom of the ladder.

This is a time when we have to take the risk (unless carlton grab him first) and then show him why he should stay with us.
Crowny
On the Rookie List

Post by Crowny »

If carlton go for Gibbs then Essendon should go for Hansen at pick 2. Unless they have a definate solution for CHB like Andrew Lee.
Jazz_84
Essendon Legend

Post by Jazz_84 »

beer-man wrote:On the other hand, dropping 3 spots and getting two players that we need is also an attractive thought.
agree, and with everyone saying how even the draft is this year id say it would benefit us a great deal
beer-man
Club Captain

Post by beer-man »

swoodley wrote:

It would be a lot harder for Gibbs to "do a Buckley" unless one of the SA clubs was on the bottom of the ladder.

This is a time when we have to take the risk (unless carlton grab him first) and then show him why he should stay with us.
If you recall Buckley didnt play for 12 months then only played the second year on the condition that Brisbnane trade him to Collingwood at years end.

There are many ways he could get to SA.

If he is willing to hold the club to ransom, he will get what he wants.
Gatsid
Champion of Essendon

Post by Gatsid »

But at the same time its all about what he is worth, sure he might want to leave but they'll have to trade for him to ensure we get something in return. If Judd wanted to come home to victoria and there was no other option West Coast wouldn't lose out completely. It would be stupid not to get Gibbs if he was available just because he might want to leave.
Bombers4Premiers
Regular Senior Player

Post by Bombers4Premiers »

Gatsid wrote:But at the same time its all about what he is worth, sure he might want to leave but they'll have to trade for him to ensure we get something in return. If Judd wanted to come home to victoria and there was no other option West Coast wouldn't lose out completely. It would be stupid not to get Gibbs if he was available just because he might want to leave.
Might being the operative word here. He may just as easily have such a great time at Essendon should we get him that he'd be more than happy to stick around and play as many years as possible in Victoria.
beer-man
Club Captain

Post by beer-man »

True,

But his father seems to be pulling his strings and both the Crows and him seem to be saying he will return.

In such a good draft, are we not better off without these problems?