OK the rubbish is over. Let 2007 begin!!

For all things non Essendon related, tell us how much you hate the Blues, Pies, etc.
Filthy

OK the rubbish is over. Let 2007 begin!!

Post by Filthy »

Now that the rubbish of the last month is over, its going to be fascinating the next 2 weeks with all the rumours and so on culminating in the end of trade week next week.

My prediction? Despite all his bluster Ol' Sheeds won't be able to cut a deal on an experienced talented out of contracter and we will have to rely on the PSD for that.

Yours???
bombercol
Regular Senior Player

Post by bombercol »

Sheedy knowing that 2007 is his last year of his contract and that we have been 14th and 15th the past two years, I am expecting a fair bit of blood spilt between now and 31 October when lists have to go to the AFL pre national draft.

Just a gut feel, but we will be in the thick of it.
Filthy

Post by Filthy »

bombercol wrote:Sheedy knowing that 2007 is his last year of his contract and that we have been 14th and 15th the past two years, I am expecting a fair bit of blood spilt between now and 31 October when lists have to go to the AFL pre national draft.

Trouble is Col..after our trading with Lloyd, Lucas, Wellman, Barney, Smokey etc clubs don't like dealing with us any more.....once bitten and all that.
Megan
Champion of Essendon

Post by Megan »

I'm just looking forward to seeing if we use the axe this year instead of just talking about it.

In saying that I'm fearing we'll chop the heads off a few players I want to keep :(
DYSON#2

Post by DYSON#2 »

on SEN (i know i know) it was reported we were looking at draffting an irish youngster and put him on our rookie list... any truth to that
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

Murphy, Camporeale, and Cole, perhaps we're not to be feared these days. ??
Filthy wrote:
bombercol wrote:Sheedy knowing that 2007 is his last year of his contract and that we have been 14th and 15th the past two years, I am expecting a fair bit of blood spilt between now and 31 October when lists have to go to the AFL pre national draft.

Trouble is Col..after our trading with Lloyd, Lucas, Wellman, Barney, Smokey etc clubs don't like dealing with us any more.....once bitten and all that.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Re: OK the rubbish is over. Let 2007 begin!!

Post by jimmyc1985 »

Filthy wrote: My prediction? Despite all his bluster Ol' Sheeds won't be able to cut a deal on an experienced talented out of contracter and we will have to rely on the PSD for that.

Yours???
Agreed. We'll be lucky to end up with some recycled garbage like we have with Campo, Cole, Murphy, Alvey, Allen, Heffernan, Zantuck etc.

If they want to trade, i say trade for a young guy who might give us something other than one or two seasons of mediocrity that any of the aforementioned were guaranteed to give. You know, something like a McPhee or a Cupido.

My goodwill with Mr. Sheedy will be stretched close to breaking point if we finish this year's trading period with a few late 20-somethings, short-term fixes and nothing else.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

DYSON#2 wrote:on SEN (i know i know) it was reported we were looking at draffting an irish youngster and put him on our rookie list... any truth to that
Wouldn't be surprised if he takes a footy and adds a couple of days to the International Rules trip to give some young Irish kids a kick.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

jimmyc1985 wrote:
Filthy wrote: My prediction? Despite all his bluster Ol' Sheeds won't be able to cut a deal on an experienced talented out of contracter and we will have to rely on the PSD for that.

Yours???
Agreed. We'll be lucky to end up with some recycled garbage like we have with Campo, Cole, Murphy, Alvey, Allen, Heffernan, Zantuck etc.

If they want to trade, i say trade for a young guy who might give us something other than one or two seasons of mediocrity that any of the aforementioned were guaranteed to give. You know, something like a McPhee or a Cupido.

My goodwill with Mr. Sheedy will be stretched close to breaking point if we finish this year's trading period with a few late 20-somethings, short-term fixes and nothing else.
You know Cole, Alvey and Zantuck were young when they were recruited. They were in exactly the same boat as McPhee and Cupido when they turned up. I thought Alvey wasn't given a fair go by Sheeds and could have been very god, who knows with Cole, he was injured this year - why should that be an excuse for some, but not others. And I wouldn't count Cupido a success after one good season.
jimmyc1985
Champion of Essendon

Post by jimmyc1985 »

j-mac wrote:
jimmyc1985 wrote:

Yours???

You know Cole, Alvey and Zantuck were young when they were recruited. They were in exactly the same boat as McPhee and Cupido when they turned up. I thought Alvey wasn't given a fair go by Sheeds and could have been very god, who knows with Cole, he was injured this year - why should that be an excuse for some, but not others. And I wouldn't count Cupido a success after one good season.
We took Cole out of charity because Beverley Knight has/had an administrative position at EFC and she looked after Cole when he first came to Melbourne. He was cut from Collingwood for being too goddamned lazy, and, surprise surprise, he's still hasn't lost his Christmas pudding from Christmas 2005. Collingwood did very well to unload him after he was OK in 2005 whilst he still had trade value. He's one we'll regret.

Alvey was another piece of EFC charity work; he was a reasonable player in a very ordinary team at the time (Bulldogs) who was too small and had a stuffed knee, but we took him because he wanted to be with his good mate Solomon.

Zantuck was a drunk who thinks it's OK to go to clubs, get pissed and take pills during the season. Richmond were smart enough to unload him before he further embarassed himself. Another piece of regrettable Essendon charity work.

McPhee was nowhere even near in the same boat as those 3 duds; he was a feisty, developing kid who didn't get a fair go at Freo and we took advantage of that situation. Perhaps Stupido was a little bit similar to the 3 duds in terms of being 'damaged goods' upon arrival, but at least he had sublime talent and was worth the punt in hindsight. None of Alvey, Zantuck or Cole had anywhere near the talent that made them worth giving up a list position for, even if we acquired them cheaply.
uptick
High Draft Pick
Location: Under cover, deep in the heart of Carlscum territory

Post by uptick »

The reality these days is that with ave. injury count, no team can afford to take the odd "free" player ie. "cheap" player, they take up valuable list space. Unless you have 40 bodies up to seniors footy on the list, assuming ave. injury count, forget finals action.