2020 AFL Draft

s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Re: 2020 AFL Draft

Post by s'dreams »

The AFL is aware that they only scheduled the one night for this aren't they?

2 1/2 hours and they have only got to pick 31. Had to replace McLachlan as MC because even he got bored.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

desmondo wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:29 pm Maybe we could go Reid AND Cox, (Hurley and Hooker are both nearing the end of their playing days) I like what I`ve read about both and I like the fact that apparently Cox kicks the ball 'beautifully' with both feet, (a feature very few of our current players can manage). Phillips aint sliding anywhere unfortunately, so I`d be very happy with the two talls plus maybe Archie Perkins or Macrae. 8)
Hmmm :-k

Are you Dodoro? Desmondo = Dodoro

Seriously, we’ll played =D> =D> =D>
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Our 2021 Team Photo

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

s'dreams wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:50 pm The AFL is aware that they only scheduled the one night for this aren't they?

2 1/2 hours and they have only got to pick 31. Had to replace McLachlan as MC because even he got bored.
They’d drag it on as long as they could,if they thought they could get away with it,s’dreams.

Only problem was,Gil the Dill probably slid away in embarrassment,knowing how ridiculously long it dragged out.

I did not give it much time of day.
nomolos
Club Captain

Post by nomolos »

Windy_Hill wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:14 pm Our 2021 Team Photo

What we picked up says 2 things;
1) We are replacing Hurley and Hooker
2) We have no faith in our other key backs to be able to do the job (Ambrose, BZT, Francis)
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

We definitely went very tall! The thing to note is that we aren't going to rebuilt the list in a single trade/draft period. I'm hoping that next year is used to stock up on midfielders and small forwards/defenders. I'm sure they also have Dunkley in the back of their minds.

These guys may take a couple of years to really find their feet, and would be good for them to have some experienced talls around them i.e. Hurley/Hooker before they retire. The rest of the tall brigade are going to be very young.
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

The time it takes for all our new recruits to come up to AFL standard as all will come on, in different levels. This is give us some good draft deals for example next year, we may take midfielders and Academy kids. All the while because, we surely must expect to be be further down the ladder and will put us in a good position to stock up on good players we need via the drafts.

Two or three years from now, the team will be in a different space and place.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

BenDoolan wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:29 pm
desmondo wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:29 pm Maybe we could go Reid AND Cox, (Hurley and Hooker are both nearing the end of their playing days) I like what I`ve read about both and I like the fact that apparently Cox kicks the ball 'beautifully' with both feet, (a feature very few of our current players can manage). Phillips aint sliding anywhere unfortunately, so I`d be very happy with the two talls plus maybe Archie Perkins or Macrae. 8)
Hmmm :-k

Are you Dodoro? Desmondo = Dodoro

Seriously, we’ll played =D> =D> =D>
:lol: Thanks. Wish I could pick the lotto numbers like that.

Nope, not Dodoro but happy with those picks, including Brand and Eyre. vingertje =D>

Next year hopefully we should aim for gun mids in the draft (plus Dunkley). :wink:

And 3 years from now we could be back at the top end of the ladder. 8)
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

Rover99 wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 10:21 pm
Windy_Hill wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:31 pm I’ve been a big wrap for Logan McDonald for a long time but not for two top 8 draft picks.

Put it this way, would I prefer Dunkley to McDonald? Probably. But not for two top 8 draft picks.

We need to plug a lotta wholes and taking three Top 8 talents (or whatever the actual number will be after NGA/Father/Son Picks) will go a long way towards re-establishing the squad. Then add next year where we could be looking at a similar draft hand (especially if Merrett chooses to go) we could well have 6 Top 10 picks in just two drafts. I really feel this is the long overdue course correction we need. Then with an emerging list of hopefully above average youngsters we hit the Free Agency hard in year three. So if McDonald proves to be a gun elsewhere, let’s go and offer him the big bucks to move or pick the best Free Agents on the market at the time to add the cream.
Definirely. Safety in numbers. This draft is critical that we don't put all our eggs in one basket
We must be like the baby plovers, we just roll over and play dead.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.