Regular Senior Player

Re: Who do we want?

Post by Windy Hille »

Royza wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:12 pm Draft Pick 38: Irving Mosquito
Draft Pick 60: Noah Gown
Draft Pick 72: Brayden Ham
Rookie Pick: Tom Jok
Rookie Pick: Matt Dea :D

Dodoro said Dea was always going to be picked, they just needed to free a spot for a draft pick.
Interesting that Zac Clarke wasn’t picked up. What’s the go with that??
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

Windy Hille wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:15 pm
Royza wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:12 pm Draft Pick 38: Irving Mosquito
Draft Pick 60: Noah Gown
Draft Pick 72: Brayden Ham
Rookie Pick: Tom Jok
Rookie Pick: Matt Dea :D

Dodoro said Dea was always going to be picked, they just needed to free a spot for a draft pick.
Interesting that Zac Clarke wasn’t picked up. What’s the go with that??
He can be added as a rookie anytime in the next few months (not sure dates exactly off top of my head)
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Even though a spot has been reserved for Clarke ... by my calculations (using my fingers and toes) we still have one unfilled spot on the Rookie list.

Am I correct in this? And can it be used in the pre-season?
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:59 am Even though a spot has been reserved for Clarke ... by my calculations (using my fingers and toes) we still have one unfilled spot on the Rookie list.

Am I correct in this? And can it be used in the pre-season?
I heard the guru say we’re only going into 2019 with a 38 player list - to be topped up with rookies.
Essendunny
Royza
Club Captain

Post by Royza »

Yeah, I think it will be just 38 with 7 rookies.

Clarke is picked under the new Pre-season supplemental selection period (any picked here are a Cat A rookie).
We could take 1 more up until March 15 if anyone was of interest.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

**** BUMP ****

For 2019 Draft

With all the talk of an inside mid ... I recon we need more a fast outside mid WITH EXCELLENT FOOT SKILLS AND DECISION MAKING ...

Wouldn't it be wonderful if say 10 times a match we could hit a target inside the forward 50?

Also - does anyone have any info on Mason Fletcher and how he has been tracking this year?
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Our Draft selections (indicative)
29, 31, 47, 60, 65 and 83.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

How about Dan Butler from Richmond?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:09 pm Our Draft selections (indicative)
What are they after Gold Coast get gifted the first 25 picks of this draft?
Essendunny
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

BenDoolan wrote: Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:20 pm
nudder12 wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:09 pm Our Draft selections (indicative)
What are they after Gold Coast get gifted the first 25 picks of this draft?

31, 37, 49, 62, 67, 85
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

We wanted Cameron... Well he is going to Hawthorn... (lets see if GWS are going to be as demanding for the Dawks as they were with us).

When was the last time those arseholes managed to use a first round draft pick on an 18 year old, pay full price for a trade and manage to keep TPP under the salary cap without having to resort to "creative" arrangements?

f*** trying to copy the Richmond model for culture, defence and gamestyle, how about we just poach the Dawks fitness staff?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

s'dreams wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:30 pm We wanted Cameron... Well he is going to Hawthorn... (lets see if GWS are going to be as demanding for the Dawks as they were with us).

When was the last time those arseholes managed to use a first round draft pick on an 18 year old, pay full price for a trade and manage to keep TPP under the salary cap without having to resort to "creative" arrangements?

f*** trying to copy the Richmond model for culture, defence and gamestyle, how about we just poach the Dawks fitness staff?
Don't you mean Patton?
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Cameron, Patton they're all tanks (though the cameron one looks better :D )
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

Strategically, and given the likely departure of Joe and Raz, we have a couple of options.

1. Short term rebuild during the Woosha/Truck transition

2. Immediate replacements while the window is partially open.

I tend to believe our recruiting strategy has been about immediate success....see Shiel, Saad. Stringer and Smith deals. Clearly the club believes we can build a premiership challenging team around recruiting established talent....building a side around a forward line lead by Daniher and Fantasia

With JD and OF on the move, we need to make a decision...does the immediate success strategy still apply? If so, then any deals done for the 2 wantaways must yield ready made replacements.

So let's assume Sydney bend over and hand us picks 5 and 9 ( via Carlton for Joe. On the immediate success strategy we should be looking at a like for like replacement for Daniher. Perhaps this could be Cameron, especially as he comes out of contract next year and GWS may see value in trading now? Unlikely but possible. Cameron would command a min $900k the bulk of which will be freed up with Joey's departure. GWS will demand the first two round picks (via Sudney) giving them 3 selections in the top 12....they already have pick 12. They may even want one of our second round picks as on paper, Cameron is worth more than Joe. This would be a no brainier if indeed such a deal could be manfactured. The alternative would be to go back for Cameron at the end of 2020 when his contract expires in which case GWS may have to settle for substantially less.

Regarding Fantasia, we can definitely play hard ball with Port as we have him locked down with 2 more years of his contract remaining. This is wher Essendon needs to be ruthless and not cave in simply to meet the player's demands. Under the Win Now strategy we should be demanding Ollie Wines for Fanta and Third round pick (or Laverde). Have no idea if this is plausible but we should be definitely looking at such a deal. Wines would give us an excellent mid/fwd option to more than counter he loss of Raz.

So if these scenarios play out we get the following outcome.

Out. Daniher to Syd for Picks 5 & 9
In Cameron from GWS for picks 5, 9 & 37

Out. Fantasia and Pick 49 to Port
In . Wines from PA

That gives us two ready made and arguably better replacements and still leaves us with picks 31, 62 and 67.

The team would line up as follows

Ambrose. Zerk-Thatcher. Gleeson
Redman. Hurley. Francis
McKenna. Shiel. Saad
McGrath Hooker. Wines
Stringer. Cameron. Walla

Bellchambers, Merrett, Heppell

Parish, Clarke D, Zanarakis, McKernan

In terms of the short term rebuild, essentially we take picks 5 and 9 from Sydney and if possible a first rounder from Port for Fantasia. I can't imagine Port will give us their pick 10 for Fantasia withou some sweetening of the pot. In which case we could give them our pick 31 as well.

That would leave us with picks 5, 9, 10, 37, 49, 61 & 67

From this we could ( possibly) secure three elite potential players to be ready from 2021 when Rutten takes over the wheel. It would mean a challenging year in 2020 but let's be honest, we made finals this year without the luxury of Fantasia and Daniher...so maybe it wouldn't be such a backward step?

I honestly don't know which option is best but a part of me is leaning towards the mini rebuild. We free up a lot of salary cap space and build a fresh squad that can play together for the next 10 years. All under the new coaching philosophy.

Even with Cameron and Wines, I doubt we would push for top 4.

So despite our recent strategy of buying experienced players, maybe it's time to start afresh with the boon of three first round selections in a pretty decent draft year.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Getting kids won’t work.

We’re supposed to be in the age demographic of challenging for a flag now. Daniher and Fantasia are mid 20’s with 100 games experience. Replacing them with early draft picks will take 5 years to mature. By then, we’ll have 30+ year old hacks getting ready for retirement.

We saw what our forward line is like without both Daniher and Razz. It’s ordinary at best. Never going to win you a final let alone a flag.

If I were EFC, I would pressure Swans to deal with Papley as a swap - despite his stupid desire to join the Blues. f*** ‘em. You want JD, we want Papley + a pick. Getting Papley would be a good replacement for Fantasia.

Port won’t part with Wines. He’s off limits. The likely trade will be with Powell-Pepper.

Now if we can land Cameron... 8)
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Despite despising AWFULL’s 1st Love Child GWS,I have to ask what the go is with Cameron leaving GWS,having just made a Grand Final?Surely he’d want to stick around for a couple of seasons,to see if his Mob can go one step further?

Ok,what did I miss?
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

grassy1 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:04 pm Despite despising AWFULL’s 1st Love Child GWS,I have to ask what the go is with Cameron leaving GWS,having just made a Grand Final?Surely he’d want to stick around for a couple of seasons,to see if his Mob can go one step further?

Ok,what did I miss?
They have a whole bunch of top 10 draft picks who play like top 10 draft picks and are demanding to be paid accordingly

While most clubs can afford maybe 5-7 tops high salary cases, GWS have maybe 10-14 who are pressing for this. Hopper, Kelly, Congilio, Himmelberg, Kennedy, Lloyd, Daniels and Haynes resigned this year for more dosh than they were on. Cameron would have to compete next year for negotiated $ with Taranto, Whitfield, Williams, Perryman, Patton, Findlayson and Hately.

Cameron wants more, and can probably get it.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Surely,they’d sign him up as an Absoute Priority?!
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

grassy1 wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:13 pm Surely,they’d sign him up as an Absoute Priority?!
I'd take any one of Taranto, Whitfield, Williams, Perryman, Patton, or Hately in a hearbeat. They are all absolute priorities!
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Surely Patton is worth about $5 these days. Absolutely risk and liability.
Essendunny