Long jnr

patoman
On the Rookie List

Long jnr

Post by patoman »

I see Michael Longs boy played in the reserves for us this week. Is he any chance to be drafted?
He's included in our short film is that an indication we'll pick him up?
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Re: Long jnr

Post by Sismis »

There is a potential shit fight around father/son but I think we'll definitely be looking at picking him up.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Is he any good? What are his credentials other than genetics?
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Just curious Sismis.Is there any club or clubs in Particular,stirring up this Shitfight?
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

grassy1 wrote:Just curious Sismis.Is there any club or clubs in Particular,stirring up this Shitfight?
I think he means that the fight is about the "compensation" pick we get at the end of round 1 in the 2015 draft is not officially a round 1 pick ... so anyone we nominate as a f/s could be snared by any other club willing to use their first round pick or (I might be wrong about this ... but I think it's correct) any of the residual early compensation picks from the expansion (GCS and GWS both have first round compo picks in the 2015 draft)

Additionally, Clubs that finished below us on the ladder can use their second round pick to snare any f/s nomination given we cannot trump them with a "standard" first round pick (as per Big Joe in the 2013 draft) - it seems the compensation pick is not eligile to be used in this manner.

There was a lot of talk about this when Wallis' son was showing a lot of promise as a 15 or 16 year old last year, but conjecture regarding his selection seems to have fallen away this year.

s'd
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I thought you just had to give up your next pick after the highest bid, regardless of which round it was in.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

j-mac31 wrote:I thought you just had to give up your next pick after the highest bid, regardless of which round it was in.
Yep ... but the compensation pick cannot be used as part of the F/S bidding

So if we can only give up our 3rd round pick (first live one this year), clubs can use their first or those clubs that finished below us can use their second round pick (as we would have had to use our second round pick to match or block their earlier 2nd round pick as the next pick after the highest bid). Those finishing above us can be blocked by using the 3rd round pick.

Sucks ... but it seems doubtful that Long Jr will go in the first 2 rounds

s'd
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Are you sure we won't be able to use our third round pick as our next pick after any before it?

It doesn't have to be the same round pick that matches a bid, just the next pick.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

struggled to make it into the NT under 18 team that consistently got destroyed at Nationals.

Reckon he will be a late ND draft pick at absolute best (4th, 5th round) or a rookie pick up if he gets picked up. I've give him a shot, decent first VFL hit out. Maybe we've just been hiding him in school footy all year, although I doubt we would be silly enough to give the AFL an excuse to go us for draft tampering again.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

j-mac31 wrote:Are you sure we won't be able to use our third round pick as our next pick after any before it?

It doesn't have to be the same round pick that matches a bid, just the next pick.
This is the shitfight. By the normal rules we should be able to use our third round pick, but the AFL made a statement saying we couldn't.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/e ... 6706093372

This was not discussed in the negotiations however and I think if it comes down to it, this could potentially result in us contesting that ruling.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

I see. Just another thing to hate the AFL for.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

j-mac31 wrote:I see. Just another thing to hate the AFL for.
Nobody will bid.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

boncer34 wrote:
j-mac31 wrote:I see. Just another thing to hate the AFL for.
Nobody will bid.
That doesn't make the AFL not cockheads for this "rule".
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

We've nominated him.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

We've nominated him under the rookie father/son preselection rules.

He's not ours yet.

Any other club can use any pick they want in the National Draft to pick him up. However, if no ones picks him up in the ND we get him with our final rookie draft selection.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

ealesy wrote:We've nominated him under the rookie father/son preselection rules.

He's not ours yet.

Any other club can use any pick they want in the National Draft to pick him up. However, if no ones picks him up in the ND we get him with our final rookie draft selection.
Yeah just checked that when he wasn't on the official f/s list. Seems a big risk, but I guess he just not that highly rated.
ealesy
Champion of Essendon

Post by ealesy »

Sismis wrote:
ealesy wrote:We've nominated him under the rookie father/son preselection rules.

He's not ours yet.

Yeah just checked that when he wasn't on the official f/s list. Seems a big risk, but I guess he just not that highly rated.

Not really, struggled to get a game for the NT team that regularly got absolutely pumped during the National Champs, barely got a look in at TAC Cup level, and apart from his one VFL game at the end of the season, he basically spent the year playing school footy.

Humble Minon on Bomberblitz who watches a lot of the TAC Cup, National Champs, underage footy was somewhat surprised we even nominated him as rookie pre-selection, thinking we would be more likely to get him to club next year to play with the VFL team with a look at drafting him next year if his performance warranted it.

Suggests to me, he is a borderline rookie draft selection and the club has committed to him based on who his Dad is, and his potential upside. From memory he was highly rated at Under 16 level but has had trouble some injury concerns since then.

Take this all for what it is worth, it is all 2nd hand info from what I've seen around the the interwebs.
Sismis
Champion of Essendon

Post by Sismis »

Looks like the Hird Academy propaganda works, on me at least........
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

ealesy wrote:Suggests to me, he is a borderline rookie draft selection and the club has committed to him based on who his Dad is, and his potential upside.
Probably wqorth a rookie spot, even if only because of his dad.
donsgetthere
High Draft Pick

Post by donsgetthere »

So potential Leroy jetta version 2??