2020 AFL Draft

BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

2020 AFL Draft

Post by BenDoolan »

At this stage we have picks: 6, 7, 8, 44, 77, 85, 87

Does anyone have a good run down of this year’s draft?

I hear great things about Will Phillips, and Logan McDonald. I guess too good to slip to #6. But who else is in the top 10 for the picking?
Essendunny
nudder12
Club Captain

Re: 2020 AFL Draft

Post by nudder12 »

No idea really.
Have heard all the talk about McDonald, and our likely Academy players, but not much else specifically.
AFL website have a couple of run-downs of the likely top choices.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Look up Denver Grainger-Barras of Swan Districts.

He got the better of Logan twice this year,in something that’s a Rarity.

A Siren to Siren Good old Fashioned Contest.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

https://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/8365 ... ber-update

Victorian bull mids x 2.
Victorian key position x 1.
Can we do that in the 6,7 & 8 picks?
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I’ve been a big wrap for Logan McDonald for a long time but not for two top 8 draft picks.

Put it this way, would I prefer Dunkley to McDonald? Probably. But not for two top 8 draft picks.

We need to plug a lotta wholes and taking three Top 8 talents (or whatever the actual number will be after NGA/Father/Son Picks) will go a long way towards re-establishing the squad. Then add next year where we could be looking at a similar draft hand (especially if Merrett chooses to go) we could well have 6 Top 10 picks in just two drafts. I really feel this is the long overdue course correction we need. Then with an emerging list of hopefully above average youngsters we hit the Free Agency hard in year three. So if McDonald proves to be a gun elsewhere, let’s go and offer him the big bucks to move or pick the best Free Agents on the market at the time to add the cream.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Amusingly the newest Rioli couldn't finish his 2 Km time trial .. he was allegedly attacked by plovers on the beach on his second lap (of 5) of the circuit and went home rather than finish his task.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

s'dreams wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:12 am Amusingly the newest Rioli couldn't finish his 2 Km time trial .. he was allegedly attacked by plovers on the beach on his second lap (of 5) of the circuit and went home rather than finish his task.
Plovers???
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Windy_Hill wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:58 pm
s'dreams wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:12 am Amusingly the newest Rioli couldn't finish his 2 Km time trial .. he was allegedly attacked by plovers on the beach on his second lap (of 5) of the circuit and went home rather than finish his task.
Plovers???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVBlFu0uQEw

grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Annoying little buggers,aren’t they?

Sheesh! :shock:
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:24 pm Annoying little buggers,aren’t they?

Sheesh! :shock:
They go bonkers. Their young are taught (or so I believe) to “play dead” whenever a threat gets near them. I’ve seen it first hand...while the parents were going bonkers above me.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Magpies?

Who are they?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Windy_Hill wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:31 pm I’ve been a big wrap for Logan McDonald for a long time but not for two top 8 draft picks.

Put it this way, would I prefer Dunkley to McDonald? Probably. But not for two top 8 draft picks.

We need to plug a lotta wholes and taking three Top 8 talents (or whatever the actual number will be after NGA/Father/Son Picks) will go a long way towards re-establishing the squad. Then add next year where we could be looking at a similar draft hand (especially if Merrett chooses to go) we could well have 6 Top 10 picks in just two drafts. I really feel this is the long overdue course correction we need. Then with an emerging list of hopefully above average youngsters we hit the Free Agency hard in year three. So if McDonald proves to be a gun elsewhere, let’s go and offer him the big bucks to move or pick the best Free Agents on the market at the time to add the cream.
Definirely. Safety in numbers. This draft is critical that we don't put all our eggs in one basket
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

I am warming to us taking Zach Reid as a long term Key Defender. I think he and Cody Brand could form the double act down back. Coupled with Ridley, BZT, we have a solid long term defensive structure.

The other two picks I would imagine will be spent on mids. In the mix are Perkins, Bruhn, and possibly Phillips if he slides. Phillips is a gun with real leadership qualities according to various reports but hard to see him get past Gold Coast. The only issue is if GC feel it more important to take a tall defender, which they currently lack, in which case they may opt for Reid.

Nick Cox has been quite heavily linked to us but I am not convinced he has the goods to be a genuine long term prospect. I would definitely take Reid over Cox as the one “tall” we are likely to pick this year.
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

Maybe we could go Reid AND Cox, (Hurley and Hooker are both nearing the end of their playing days) I like what I`ve read about both and I like the fact that apparently Cox kicks the ball 'beautifully' with both feet, (a feature very few of our current players can manage). Phillips aint sliding anywhere unfortunately, so I`d be very happy with the two talls plus maybe Archie Perkins or Macrae. 8)
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

Windy_Hill wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:22 pm I am warming to us taking Zach Reid as a long term Key Defender. I think he and Cody Brand could form the double act down back. Coupled with Ridley, BZT, we have a solid long term defensive structure.

The other two picks I would imagine will be spent on mids. In the mix are Perkins, Bruhn, and possibly Phillips if he slides. Phillips is a gun with real leadership qualities according to various reports but hard to see him get past Gold Coast. The only issue is if GC feel it more important to take a tall defender, which they currently lack, in which case they may opt for Reid.

Nick Cox has been quite heavily linked to us but I am not convinced he has the goods to be a genuine long term prospect. I would definitely take Reid over Cox as the one “tall” we are likely to pick this year.
BZT has done nothing so far. he isnt a long term player as of yet. why do people keep talking like he has arrived. let him string together at least several strong games first.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BZT has played what, >10 games so fair enough, not much form to go on. On the other hand, he has only played >10 games so patience is necessary. My understanding is that he is quite highly regarded and the club is keen to get games into him despite perhaps not being fully developed to play a key defensive role yet.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

Cox, Perkins and Reid
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

desmondo wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:29 pm Maybe we could go Reid AND Cox, (Hurley and Hooker are both nearing the end of their playing days) I like what I`ve read about both and I like the fact that apparently Cox kicks the ball 'beautifully' with both feet, (a feature very few of our current players can manage). Phillips aint sliding anywhere unfortunately, so I`d be very happy with the two talls plus maybe Archie Perkins or Macrae. 8)
Bang on the money desmondo
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Windy_Hill wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:54 pm BZT has played what, >10 games so fair enough, not much form to go on. On the other hand, he has only played >10 games so patience is necessary. My understanding is that he is quite highly regarded and the club is keen to get games into him despite perhaps not being fully developed to play a key defensive role yet.
It took a few years to get Hurley and Hooker up to speed. Both were whipping boys at the club early in their careers.

It will take a few years to get Cox and Reid to be regular Players. In the meantime, Francis and BZT will do the lions share of the heavy work.

They are an improvement on Mal Michael.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

s'dreams wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:24 pm
Windy_Hill wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 3:54 pm BZT has played what, >10 games so fair enough, not much form to go on. On the other hand, he has only played >10 games so patience is necessary. My understanding is that he is quite highly regarded and the club is keen to get games into him despite perhaps not being fully developed to play a key defensive role yet.
It took a few years to get Hurley and Hooker up to speed. Both were whipping boys at the club early in their careers.

It will take a few years to get Cox and Reid to be regular Players. In the meantime, Francis and BZT will do the lions share of the heavy work.

They are an improvement on Mal Michael.
To be fair, we picked up Mal Michael in his twilight years. All he wanted to do was eat Maccas and pies but it was fun seeing him there anyway. Nice bloke.