Rama and his illness - implications

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Rama and his illness - implications

Post by swoodley »

Just saw this on foxsports.

It talks about how we might be able to keep Rama on our list, or redraft him in 2008 if necessary.

Interesting article and I think that if it comes to the point that we know he won't play next year but might be able to the year after, then we should so for the special dispensation a la Melbourne and Broadbridge

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 211,00.htm
Last edited by swoodley on Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
F111
Essendon Legend

Re: Rama and his illness - implications

Post by F111 »

swoodley
Champion of Essendon

Re: Rama and his illness - implications

Post by swoodley »

F111 wrote:Yopu missed a bit on the end.:)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,865 ... 211,00.htm
Thanks for noticing the missing "tm"

It sure makes finding the article easier
"You can quote me on this... He is gawn" - bomberdonnie re Hurley's contract status 25 February 2012
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

It's good to see them trying to sort the issue for Rama. I hope it gets sorted. I'd like to think there is a way for him to keep his career options open, whilst the club don't sacrifice a spot in the interim.
dom_105
Club Captain

Post by dom_105 »

If they do not recieve special consideration (and let's face it, that probably going to be the case, since when has the AFL done anything logical) would it be better to keep him on the list and just put him on the long term injury list and bring through a rookie.

A much better option then having him "delisted" for one year i would have thought.
danstar84
Club Captain

Post by danstar84 »

Tough situation. If we DID need to delist him, and he did recover and was ready to play in 2008, I would hope that all other clubs would hav the decency to let him come back to us with an ultra late pick in the draft. I'd would expect us to do the same thing if the situation was reversed.
Boyler_Room
Champion of Essendon

Post by Boyler_Room »

You'd like to think there'd be a sentimental approach... but the fact of the matter is that AFL and recruiting is business, and business is business. If Rama recovers and can retain some of his glorious form then who wouldn't try and pick him up? I doubt they'd just let us pick him up for nothing at the end of a draft ifhe actually had some value.
j-mac31
Essendon Legend

Post by j-mac31 »

Could he be used as the club's over 23 rookie?

Or just leave Jolley on the rookie list and upgrade him next year, with Rama onto the LTI list. Or some other rookie if Jolley becomes a senior listed player.
Aaron Francis is the Messiah.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

The question is will Rama even be able to play again in 2008 after effectivelymissing the best 4 years of a footballers lifespan.

Its hard enough to come back after 1 year out.

Still, it could be one of the great spoerting stories if he could make it back.
lozza89
Regular Senior Player

Post by lozza89 »

Well in the paper, they were apparently going to ask the AFL for a scheme similar to the Troy Broadbridge, where they can place someone on the list in his absence, but when he comes back, he is still on the senior list. Hopefully the AFL have some heart in them and allow something like this to occur, because if he does come back, there should definately be a spot for him in the squad
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

In a time when the AFL could do with a personality makeover, why dont they simply come up with a Compassionate Leave Rule whereby a club can release a player from the salary cap and list restrictions and still retain his services in the future. Do it now and then no one need ask the question again about what to do in these circumstances. However, the Compassionate Leave cannot be extended to injuries incurred from playing the game such as Tom Lonnergan or Blake Carracella. It would have to be for illnesses or trauma cause from non football activities