Essendon v Scum

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Essendon v Scum

Post by s'dreams »

Changes after a 7 day break:

Out: Bryan (sadly), Tsatas, Langford (inj)
In: Goldy, Setterfield, Shiel (if Langford injured).

If Langford is injured, Stringer to stay forward (the big bodies of Setterfield and Shiel should be enough)

Laverde is lucky that Reid is injured. Just sayin'.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Essendon v Scum

Post by BenDoolan »

Out: E. Tsatas (omit), K. Langford (inj), N. Bryan (omit)

In: W. Setterfield, N. Caddy, T. Goldstein
Essendunny
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

If Langford Out then Caddy MUST come in.

We were too one dimensional Sunday and I like the way Nate attacks it

Tsatas and Bryan out for Setters and Goldy
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

out: Redders, Bryan, Langers maybe?
in: Goldie, Setters, Caddy pending Langers.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

F111 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:15 pm out: Redders, Bryan, Langers maybe?
in: Goldie, Setters, Caddy pending Langers.
I'd still exit Tsatas and consider bringing in Roberts to cover some of the Carlton small forwards.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Daisy..1
Regular Senior Player

Post by Daisy..1 »

Red Dog OUT!
Image]
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Daisy..1 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2024 9:28 amRed Dog OUT!
Shit!

#-o

I tip in hope! [-o<
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Goldie, Shiel, Setters and Roberts IN.
Redders OUT
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Get the juices flowing…

Essendunny
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Thank, Benny. Desired effect achieved.
What year was that ???
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

rockhole wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:17 pm Thank, Benny. Desired effect achieved.
What year was that ???

The year from hell.

Where they finished 9th, we got kicked out of the finals, and they got in…
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I guess this one is fitting… considering what round it is and who it’s mainly about and for…

Essendunny
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

BenDoolan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:28 pm I guess this one is fitting… considering what round it is and who it’s mainly about and for…

A great win in the mud. ND made the point that being in front with a heavy ball was the place to be. Saddens me though as ND was captain in 82 but his knee injuries essentially stifled his brilliance.
Pitfatzrick was always a smug scum and it showed for many years.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

BenDoolan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 7:01 pm
What year was that ???

The year from hell.

Yup.
Watching....remembering the players, and their era.....and then as as soon as I saw Hird in the box I knew 2013. And right away I saddened :(
This was the only game we won for the rest of the season, after playing for Top spot in Round 18.
I can't remember what happened that week (Round 18), but I'm sure I remember SOMETHING happened .... and our wheels totally fell off after a season of resilience.
Don't want to re-hash the saga at all, but does anyone remember what hit us the week we played the Hawks??
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:32 pm
What year was that ???

The year from hell.

Yup.
Watching....remembering the players, and their era.....and then as as soon as I saw Hird in the box I knew 2013. And right away I saddened :(
This was the only game we won for the rest of the season, after playing for Top spot in Round 18.
I can't remember what happened that week (Round 18), but I'm sure I remember SOMETHING happened .... and our wheels totally fell off after a season of resilience.
Don't want to re-hash the saga at all, but does anyone remember what hit us the week we played the Hawks??
I suspect it was when the AFL handed out their penalties on the club and Hird / Thompson / Reid. We were kicked out of the finals, and that was that. Nothing to play for.
Essendunny
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

F111 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:54 pm
BenDoolan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:28 pm I guess this one is fitting… considering what round it is and who it’s mainly about and for…

A great win in the mud. ND made the point that being in front with a heavy ball was the place to be. Saddens me though as ND was captain in 82 but his knee injuries essentially stifled his brilliance.
I may have told this story before but I was in the outer at Princess Park by myself with five absolute Carlton flogs behind me, who gave it to me all game apart from a few minutes at the end. When Scum was still two goals up, they opened a bottle of Bollinger complete with flutes and started singing the Scum song.
Of course the rest is history with Glen Hawker and Neil stealing the game from right under their noses. When I turned to commiserate with them, they had vanished!!!
The only evidence that they had been there was the half bottle of Bolly which had been thrown to the ground. I pounced on it and finished it off.
Cannot recall a drink tasting so good!!!!
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

BenDoolan wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:47 pm
What year was that ???

The year from hell.

Yup.
I suspect it was when the AFL handed out their penalties on the club and Hird / Thompson / Reid. We were kicked out of the finals, and that was that. Nothing to play for.
Nah, that wasn't it. AFL only announced the penalties in the week before finals began.
Evans resigned the day after the Hawks loss. Coincidence? Or something happened that week, and then the Hawks result, and he resigned.
Probably I'm mistaken, since I can't work out what happened, but it's stuck in my mind that something did. Oh well.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

rockhole wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:21 am
F111 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:54 pm

I may have told this story before but I was in the outer at Princess Park by myself with five absolute Carlton flogs behind me, who gave it to me all game apart from a few minutes at the end. When Scum was still two goals up, they opened a bottle of Bollinger complete with flutes and started singing the Scum song.
Of course the rest is history with Glen Hawker and Neil stealing the game from right under their noses. When I turned to commiserate with them, they had vanished!!!
The only evidence that they had been there was the half bottle of Bolly which had been thrown to the ground. I pounced on it and finished it off.
Cannot recall a drink tasting so good!!!!
Long before the days of Training courses regarding Infectious Diseases! :lol:
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

nudder12 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:59 am
What year was that ???

The year from hell.

Yup.
Nah, that wasn't it. AFL only announced the penalties in the week before finals began.
Evans resigned the day after the Hawks loss. Coincidence? Or something happened that week, and then the Hawks result, and he resigned.
Probably I'm mistaken, since I can't work out what happened, but it's stuck in my mind that something did. Oh well.
Best I can come up with.....

"The pressure on Evans grew significantly last week after revelations of a phone call from AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou to Evans the night before Essendon announced they would come under investigation.
That in turn led to reports of a rift between Evans and his long-time friend, Essendon coach James Hird.
There were also reports that some board members were unhappy with how Evans was managing the crisis."

"Evans' resignation caps off a dramatic few days for the club, starting with an apparent difference in evidence given to ASADA by Evans and coach James Hird over whether AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou tipped off the Bombers in early February about a pending ASADA investigation of their supplements program.
Then a Fairfax Media report on Saturday said that Essendon players may have been duped into a study testing anti-obesity drug AOD-9604 without their knowledge."

"Suspended fitness coach Dean Robinson quit on Friday and is set to sue the club."

It was also reported that the ASADA investigation report was due within days. Maybe the Club had been fore-warned of it's outcome???

None of that seems seismic given other events during the saga, but perhaps it was just a bunch of straws that broke the camel's back?
Anyway, I'm done trying to fathom it out. Was just a curiosity to me from the video you posted.
Onwards and upwards against the Blues this week hopefully.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

nudder12 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:38 am
nudder12 wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:59 am

The year from hell.

Yup.
Best I can come up with.....

"The pressure on Evans grew significantly last week after revelations of a phone call from AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou to Evans the night before Essendon announced they would come under investigation.
That in turn led to reports of a rift between Evans and his long-time friend, Essendon coach James Hird.
There were also reports that some board members were unhappy with how Evans was managing the crisis."

"Evans' resignation caps off a dramatic few days for the club, starting with an apparent difference in evidence given to ASADA by Evans and coach James Hird over whether AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou tipped off the Bombers in early February about a pending ASADA investigation of their supplements program.
Then a Fairfax Media report on Saturday said that Essendon players may have been duped into a study testing anti-obesity drug AOD-9604 without their knowledge."

"Suspended fitness coach Dean Robinson quit on Friday and is set to sue the club."

It was also reported that the ASADA investigation report was due within days. Maybe the Club had been fore-warned of it's outcome???

None of that seems seismic given other events during the saga, but perhaps it was just a bunch of straws that broke the camel's back?
Anyway, I'm done trying to fathom it out. Was just a curiosity to me from the video you posted.
Onwards and upwards against the Blues this week hopefully.
Without diving back into the archives… in my mind, I felt like Evans knew something about what was about to happen. IIRC, he stated to a reporter on his resignation “what happened to this club is a tragedy”… and that was it.

I think the club was briefed (before the public announcement), that we wouldn’t be playing finals that year. That’s where is got nasty between Hird and Evans, and the Hawks game is where it all happened.

That’s my current memory of it. Hopefully that memory is just getting confused… and eventually… just disappears…
Essendunny