Skip Bin Ordered @ Tullamarine Toxic Tip 2024

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Skip Bin Ordered @ Tullamarine Toxic Tip 2024

Post by BenDoolan »

The annual clean up and de-cluttering…

Retired:
Dyson Heppell

Should Trade:
Dylan Shiel
Darcy Parish
Nik Cox
Jake Kelly

Delist:
Jaiden Hunter (already gone)
Jye Menzie
Jayden Laverde
Sam Weideman
Todd Goldstein
Kaine Baldwin
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Re: Skip Bin Ordered @ Tullamarine Toxic Tip 2024

Post by s'dreams »

Menzie was given a year's extension... just a few weeks ago

Kelly (Uncontracted) is useless. And and out of contract. And last night, instead of going for the ball that was on the ground, turned around and tried to kick his opponent. A dog act.
BUT: His dad is mates with our senior coach. Don't be surprised if he gets an extension AND his dad comes and works for the club.

Shiel has apparently already been given an offer from another Melbourne club he really really likes.

Parish... not sure on that one.

Cox. I'd keep him, but get the ****** off the wing. Put him in the forward line. Ditto with Jones. He is not a wing. Duursma and Martin should be the wings. with a chop out from Perkins.

Laverde - I'd keep for depth only. He played 21 out of a possible 23 games this year. That speaks volumes about the fragility of our backline players.

Wiederman and Goldstein - should have announced their retirement already

Baldwin. Another Dodoro recruit in the mould of Gumbleton. Delist.

Players you overlooked:
Stringer. Yes he kicked 41 goals this year, but he probably missed just as many sitters and sodas. Three weeks running he misses from 20m out directly in front. We need to move past him.

Reid - Another Dodoro recruit in the mould of Gumbleton. Has managed one quarter in two seasons with the club. Has managed a total of 9 games in four seasons. Sad but his body just isn't up to it. Delist.

J. Davey (Uncontracted)- He is struggling at VFL level. Has averaged 9 disposals and one tackle a game for less than one goal a match. Delist.

Wanganeen (Uncontracted) - The club seems to have given up on him as a small forward and is running him in the backline. Not showing enough to keep him. Delist.

Coaching Staff - I was surprised that we had a listed forward coach. And a Backline coach. And even more surprised we have two midfield coaches. They are crap.
Tapping was a midfield coach for the Lions from 2016-2022... so of course we make him a forward coach.
Ben Jacobs was a tagger at Norf ... so of course we make him the backline coach
Either use people in their best positions where they can use their knowledge, or get better coaches.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

On Notice:
Archie Perkins
Harrison Jones
Zach Reid
Ben Hobbs
Alwyn Davey Jnr

Shape up or ship out.

Cannot continue to wait for a slow development just to become an ordinary footballer.

I like Harrison Jones. But you cannot continue to average just 8 disposals a game for just a goal a game. He has the natural ability and talent to spring and take strong marks. It appears just once in a game. Lift it to 3 or 4 a game and we have an absolute star. Over to you Indiana…
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 1:20 pm
Players you overlooked:
Stringer. Yes he kicked 41 goals this year, but he probably missed just as many sitters and sodas. Three weeks running he misses from 20m out directly in front. We need to move past him.
123 games / 207 goals

I disagree. He’s been a bloody good contributor more often than not. He’s asked to do more for us than he should be because of the shitness that surrounds him. Don’t forget, they also wanted him to help the midfield out because of our shitness in there over the years.
J. Davey (Uncontracted)- He is struggling at VFL level. Has averaged 9 disposals and one tackle a game for less than one goal a match. Delist.
After one season coming of an ACL? Harsh.

He was playing ok in a few games. Certainly better than Froggy Jnr.

Gotta give him a chance.
Wanganeen (Uncontracted) - The club seems to have given up on him as a small forward and is running him in the backline. Not showing enough to keep him. Delist.
Another one who was stifled with injury.

Once he got some game continuity, he started to put some good games together (in defence).

Give him another year.
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

BenDoolan wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 5:48 pm
Players you overlooked:
123 games / 207 goals

I disagree. He’s been a bloody good contributor more often than not. He’s asked to do more for us than he should be because of the shitness that surrounds him. Don’t forget, they also wanted him to help the midfield out because of our shitness in there over the years.
Perception is a strange beast. I have Stringer playing one exceptional game every 6 or 7 games and one decent game every 4 or 5.

If he is to be kept, keep him out of the midfield. He hasn't offered much there and the players we have need to learn how to do the job. It might also force the selectors to address the knocks they have on particular players (such as Setterfield) or move them on.

A big part of his role is to provide leadership. That is not shown when he consistently misses easy set shots and we lose off his boot.

Also - if he is to be kept, we need to work out how to have a functioning forward line that contains:
Langford
2MP
Caddy
Stringer
Draper
Guelfi
Gresham
Jones (???)
Some other small forward ...

Not looking easy. Too many so so players being shoved into a dysfunctional structure with no strategy.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 9:33 pm
Players you overlooked:
123 games / 207 goals

Perception is a strange beast. I have Stringer playing one exceptional game every 6 or 7 games and one decent game every 4 or 5.

If he is to be kept, keep him out of the midfield. He hasn't offered much there and the players we have need to learn how to do the job. It might also force the selectors to address the knocks they have on particular players (such as Setterfield) or move them on.

A big part of his role is to provide leadership. That is not shown when he consistently misses easy set shots and we lose off his boot.

Also - if he is to be kept, we need to work out how to have a functioning forward line that contains:
Langford
2MP
Caddy
Stringer
Draper
Guelfi
Gresham
Jones (???)

Not looking easy. Too many so so players being shoved into a dysfunctional structure with no strategy.
Well… if he led the goal kicking in 3 seasons, and runner up in 3 others, how ‘poor’ has he been?

It would be handy if some other dolt could kick some goals so we could easily say to Jake… on your bike.

I have been absolutely disgusted on how he continually misses the basic 25 metre dead in front goal, but always kicks the f****** bonkers boundary line outside 50 ones.

But I think you’ll find there is no other player on our list who has kicked anywhere near 200 goals in the time he’s been with us.

Our small forwards are f****** shit. Completely useless.
Essendunny
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Blimey, this “throw the 20 year old on the scrap heap” always staggers me.

Give them so time for crying out loud!
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

BenDoolan wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 10:01 pm
s'dreams wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 9:33 pm
Players you overlooked:
123 games / 207 goals

Langford
2MP
Caddy
Stringer
Draper
Guelfi
Gresham
Jones (???)

Well… if he led the goal kicking in 3 seasons, and runner up in 3 others, how ‘poor’ has he been?

It would be handy if some other dolt could kick some goals so we could easily say to Jake… on your bike.

I have been absolutely disgusted on how he continually misses the basic 25 metre dead in front goal, but always kicks the f****** bonkers boundary line outside 50 ones.

But I think you’ll find there is no other player on our list who has kicked anywhere near 200 goals in the time he’s been with us.

Our small forwards are f****** shit. Completely useless.
Sadly, so are our tall forwards.

2MP gave us one good year and lots of spilled marks since (another of the one exceptional game every 6 or 7 games and one decent game every 4 or 5 brigade...). Ditto Draper as a forward.

Someone needs to sit down and work out what they want the forward line to be, how it is to operate, then work out how to feed it.

And slow chip kicking along the boundary and then either kicking it over the head or a pass onto the boundry are not it.

I did point out the forward and mid coaches are shit and on reflection are probably among the worst in the league. Replace.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Windy Hille wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 11:03 pm Blimey, this “throw the 20 year old on the scrap heap” always staggers me.

Yeah. I have another 24 years to wait for us to win a final...

IMO, either the player works to the best of their ability... or they don't and they move on quickly.

Is it any coincidence that nearly every mid year recruit we brought in has worked (and yes I'll include Snelling). Martin was a SSO... and we have less success there (anyone remember Zac Clarke? What about Henry Crauford?)

Snelling played 63 games for us, and IMO was a surprise delisting. I guess the nail in his coffin was the recruitment of Gresham, and gee isn't Gresham glad Snello isn't still at the club?

My contention is the mid-season draftees know they weren't selected in the main group and they have been given a once off lifeline. They tend to work their butts off to make good on the chance... even if they aren't as talented as the draftees from the standard pathway.

I get the impression that mainstream draftees don't feel as much need to work their guts out. They get too comfortable too easily.

I'd rather a plodder who gives 100% on our list than a superstar who only commits 50%.

Mid year draft:
2018 Snelling
2019 No selection
2020 Durham
2021 D'Ambrosio and Menzie
2022 Hunter
2023 El-Hawli
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Well…

Wanganeen, Baldwin and Hind all given DCMs
Essendunny
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Wanganeen I understand.

The other two not so much.

I think was ready to take a huge step forward this season but he was cruelled by injury on the eve of the season. One of the very few players who can kick a footy properly. I guarantee he will any Massimo D’Ambrosio. Be picked up by another team and become a world beater.

As for Hind. He always showed a lot of heart and actually massively contributed to a number of wins this year.

Hind and Baldwin are ahead of Kelly, Weideman, Wright.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

If they keep Kelly and Weiderman it will do it for me for this club.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

s'dreams wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 1:54 am
Windy Hille wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2024 11:03 pm Blimey, this “throw the 20 year old on the scrap heap” always staggers me.

My contention is the mid-season draftees know they weren't selected in the main group and they have been given a once off lifeline. They tend to work their butts off to make good on the chance... even if they aren't as talented as the draftees from the standard pathway.
Yes… but they arrive at the club at the age 20-22 rather than 18. So they’ve had some sort of maturity of their body / frame and can hit the deck running so to speak.

Some of the kids that came through Covid times struggled to play at all in their junior years before being drafted.

Just have to be patient with the Cox’s, Perkins’s, Hobbs’s, Tsatas’s, Reid’s etc.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Yes… but they arrive at the club at the age 20-22 rather than 18. So they’ve had some sort of maturity of their body / frame and can hit the deck running so to speak.

Some of the kids that came through Covid times struggled to play at all in their junior years before being drafted.

Just have to be patient with the Cox’s, Perkins’s, Hobbs’s, Tsatas’s, Reid’s etc.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Windy Hille wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 12:05 am

I'll be patient as long as these recruits are working hard and have the right attitude.

I understand that at least one of the above recruits does not do this.

And as for the wonder of us getting 3 top 10 draft picks in 2020 when it was known to be a shallow draft... why didn't our super recruiting manager trade at least one of the draft picks so we had two first round picks in 2021? There are some gems selected from possible trades with GCS Pick 5 (Mac Andrew), St Kilda (11. Wanganeen-Milera), Melbourne (19. Van Rooyen)...

Though we probably would have picked another dud...
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

s'dreams wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 10:40 am
Windy Hille wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2024 12:05 am

I'll be patient as long as these recruits are working hard and have the right attitude.

I understand that at least one of the above recruits does not do this.

And as for the wonder of us getting 3 top 10 draft picks in 2020 when it was known to be a shallow draft... why didn't our super recruiting manager trade at least one of the draft picks so we had two first round picks in 2021? There are some gems selected from possible trades with GCS Pick 5 (Mac Andrew), St Kilda (11. Wanganeen-Milera), Melbourne (19. Van Rooyen)...

Though we probably would have picked another dud...
If you go by the rumours from pigeon coopers, then you must mean ET.

But his output in the VFL seems to make that bunkum. 100 disposals across the final 3 games with a heap of score involvements, clearances and tackles, amongst other impressive things.

Not sure what he’s supposed to do other than what he’s doing. Which is a heap! Yeah, he might be a tad immature. He might be a bit slapish… but he’s a kid!
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Stringer has triggered a performance clause in his contract to get a one year contract extension.

It would not surprise me if Goldstein also has a performance trigger for an extension in his contract... given the retirement announcement has not been forthcoming.

Laverde also seems on notice, but if the club is expecting Gumbeldon Mk2 to get his body right... they may as well expect McKay to stop leaking goals with his handpassing.

Dons skipper has his say after Stringer, Laverde denied contract extensions
By Sam McClure

August 30, 2024 — 7.06pm

Essendon captain Zach Merrett had a meeting with coach Brad Scott on Friday at which he expressed disappointment at the club’s decision not to offer contract extensions to teammates Jake Stringer and Jason Laverde beyond 2025.

The discussion involving Merrett came a day after Stringer, Laverde and their manager, Robbie D’Orazio, met Scott, list manager Matt Rosa and chief executive Craig Vozzo.

D’Orazio was seeking extensions for his players, who are both contracted for 2025.

However, according to two sources with knowledge of the situation who would not publicly discuss contract issues, the club held a firm line, with both players advised to seek opportunities elsewhere if they desired longer-term deals.

Two sources with knowledge of the meeting between Merrett and Scott, who asked to remain anonymous because the discussion was confidential, said their catch-up was prearranged but that Merrett voiced his disappointment at the prospect of the players being traded.

Stringer and Laverde are two of Merrett’s closest friends at the club.

It comes just days after one of Merrett’s other closest allies at the Bombers, dashing defender Nick Hind, was delisted.

Merrett and Scott met at a café, not at the club’s headquarters in Tullamarine.

Scott was contacted by this masthead about the meeting and chose not to comment. Merrett had not returned calls at the time of publication.

Essendon, who rose to second on the ladder but lost nine of their last 12 games to miss the finals, are willing to be more ruthless and aggressive in their list management heading into next year.

Stringer, who is at his second club after winning a premiership with the Western Bulldogs in 2016, has been chasing a three-year contract.

The big-bodied forward booted 42 goals this season, matching his tally for the Bulldogs in their premiership year, the equal second-highest haul of his career.

He played all 23 games, just the second time he’s done that across his 12-year career.

He is certain to attract interest from rival clubs.

Merrett, a three-time All-Australian and four-time best and fairest at Windy Hill, is contracted until the end of 2027 after signing an extension midway through the 2021 season.

First-round draft pick Zach Reid, who has managed just nine games in three seasons because of a series of injury setbacks, is seen as a long-term key defender for Essendon, which suggests Laverde could find himself on the fringe of the Bombers’ best 22 when Reid returns to full fitness.

Two club sources who wished to remain anonymous because Laverde is still contracted, confirmed to this masthead that Carlton and St Kilda had shown interest in the 28-year-old.

The Blues have already made contact with out-of-contract GWS veteran defender Nick Haynes, who is likely to leave the Giants in the trade period.

Carlton want to bolster their key defensive stocks to support star full-back Jacob Weitering, who earned his first All-Australian blazer on Thursday night.

nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

s'dreams wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 8:39 pm Stringer has triggered a performance clause in his contract to get a one year contract extension.

It would not surprise me if Goldstein also has a performance trigger for an extension in his contract... given the retirement announcement has not been forthcoming.

Laverde also seems on notice, but if the club is expecting Gumbeldon Mk2 to get his body right... they may as well expect McKay to stop leaking goals with his handpassing.

Dons skipper has his say after Stringer, Laverde denied contract extensions
By Sam McClure

August 30, 2024 — 7.06pm

Essendon captain Zach Merrett had a meeting with coach Brad Scott on Friday at which he expressed disappointment at the club’s decision not to offer contract extensions to teammates Jake Stringer and Jason Laverde beyond 2025.

The discussion involving Merrett came a day after Stringer, Laverde and their manager, Robbie D’Orazio, met Scott, list manager Matt Rosa and chief executive Craig Vozzo.

D’Orazio was seeking extensions for his players, who are both contracted for 2025.

However, according to two sources with knowledge of the situation who would not publicly discuss contract issues, the club held a firm line, with both players advised to seek opportunities elsewhere if they desired longer-term deals.

Two sources with knowledge of the meeting between Merrett and Scott, who asked to remain anonymous because the discussion was confidential, said their catch-up was prearranged but that Merrett voiced his disappointment at the prospect of the players being traded.

Stringer and Laverde are two of Merrett’s closest friends at the club.

It comes just days after one of Merrett’s other closest allies at the Bombers, dashing defender Nick Hind, was delisted.

Merrett and Scott met at a café, not at the club’s headquarters in Tullamarine.

Scott was contacted by this masthead about the meeting and chose not to comment. Merrett had not returned calls at the time of publication.

Essendon, who rose to second on the ladder but lost nine of their last 12 games to miss the finals, are willing to be more ruthless and aggressive in their list management heading into next year.

Stringer, who is at his second club after winning a premiership with the Western Bulldogs in 2016, has been chasing a three-year contract.

The big-bodied forward booted 42 goals this season, matching his tally for the Bulldogs in their premiership year, the equal second-highest haul of his career.

He played all 23 games, just the second time he’s done that across his 12-year career.

He is certain to attract interest from rival clubs.

Merrett, a three-time All-Australian and four-time best and fairest at Windy Hill, is contracted until the end of 2027 after signing an extension midway through the 2021 season.

First-round draft pick Zach Reid, who has managed just nine games in three seasons because of a series of injury setbacks, is seen as a long-term key defender for Essendon, which suggests Laverde could find himself on the fringe of the Bombers’ best 22 when Reid returns to full fitness.

Two club sources who wished to remain anonymous because Laverde is still contracted, confirmed to this masthead that Carlton and St Kilda had shown interest in the 28-year-old.

The Blues have already made contact with out-of-contract GWS veteran defender Nick Haynes, who is likely to leave the Giants in the trade period.

Carlton want to bolster their key defensive stocks to support star full-back Jacob Weitering, who earned his first All-Australian blazer on Thursday night.

Gumbleton Mk2 seemingly has more issues than we thought...
According to Mitch Cleary..... "Essendon pair Jordan Ridley (quad) and Zach Reid (hamstring) will head to Qatar in coming weeks for treatment at the Aspetar Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Hospital in an attempt to address their soft tissue concerns."
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Isn't the Aspetar Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Hospital in Qatar where they did the surgery on Colonel Steve Austin?

Of interest is the tidbit that the Manager of Stringer and Laverde is also the manager of Petracca.

While EFC has been mentioned as a possible suitor, we apparently rank 5th in the pecking order after Carlton, Collingwood and Hawthorn ... then a gap to St Kilda and Us.

While it is rumored that Melbourne would take a straight swap with Weitering for Petracca... the Rumor Mill suggests that we would have to offer this year's first round pick and either next year's first or second and Caddy or Stringer + 2MP.

Tell them to get f*****.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Jake Kelly retires
Essendunny