Heppell

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Re: Heppell

Post by grassy1 »

Jake had a hectic few moments late last night,with a brain fade that may have cost Melbourne dearly,then getting a team mate out of a situation that may have seen a Crucial Mark reversed.A little bit of irony in that,that made me have a laugh.

Thank god he did.

I Hate Carlscum!!!

We All Hate Carlscum!!!

And sometimes,beating them by 5 points is greater than beating them by 10 Goals,even if it is Melbourne.Not so much the Filth,who should jointly forfeit their matches with the Scum!

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Daisy..1
Regular Senior Player

Post by Daisy..1 »

tonysoprano wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 3:43 pm
MH_Bomber wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:55 am
Also big call now but I can see the makings of a future great Essendon captain in Ben Hobbs.
Love this call. Kid has what it takes.
Its actually GRIM that my daughter and I tonight at the game said WHO could be our next Skipper.... Its SAD and probably very telling that we can not come up with ANYONE confidently that should or could. AND GOD DAMN IT! I said I actually missed GODDARD in that UP AND AT EM ROLE. We watched intently tonight...WHO? Redman was the only one that came to mind. Aaaaaand....a surprise to me this season that has both guts and determination and balls...is the GMan. THIS is exactly why we are rooted.....We as supporters can't even name a "Leader" within our Team right now. I begger anyone on here to come up with ONE PLAYER right now that can lead us into the future.
Image]
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons »

I can think of one player who could be leading us.
Joel Selwood - 2006 national draft at pick #7.
Essendon selected Scott Gumbleton at pick #2.

Surely the football scouts could see Selwood’s leadership qualities from his junior days?

I would’ve recommended Walla if he was still playing. I miss him
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

bpdons wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:03 am I can think of one player who could be leading us.

Surely the football scouts could see Selwood’s leadership qualities from his junior days?

Selwood slid due to the misconception his knees were shot.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Daisy..1 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:35 pm
Also big call now but I can see the makings of a future great Essendon captain in Ben Hobbs.
Its actually GRIM that my daughter and I tonight at the game said WHO could be our next Skipper.... Its SAD and probably very telling that we can not come up with ANYONE confidently that should or could. AND GOD DAMN IT! I said I actually missed GODDARD in that UP AND AT EM ROLE. We watched intently tonight...WHO? Redman was the only one that came to mind. Aaaaaand....a surprise to me this season that has both guts and determination and balls...is the GMan. THIS is exactly why we are rooted.....We as supporters can't even name a "Leader" within our Team right now. I begger anyone on here to come up with ONE PLAYER right now that can lead us into the future.
I can name one… Georgia Nanscawen. She is awesome!
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

boncer34 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:10 am
bpdons wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:03 am I can think of one player who could be leading us.

I seem to recall that Hepp slid for much the same reason (feet, not knees).

We celebrated at the time.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Daisy..1
Regular Senior Player

Post by Daisy..1 »

We are soo buggered its not funny! Not one of us can seriously suggest a real alternative for a Skipper without humour. Because the truth be known there is no one. Night my peeps.... See you in 50 years! Que the Uncanny XMen music.....Where will we be in 50 years!!!
Over and OUT! xx
Image]
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

I'm a bit bewildered by the talk about "leadership".
It doesn't come down to one bloke.
It'd be nice to have a Selwood or a Hird or someone who picks the team up on their own back, but that suggests a lack of strength across the team.
At various times this year I've seen Redman, Merrett, Parish, Shiel, Laverde (probably others I've forgotten) show real leadership on-field, telling team-mates what to do etc etc.
As long as we have a sprinkling of that across the field, the actual captain doesn't matter a real lot imho
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

s'dreams wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:16 am
boncer34 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:10 am

I seem to recall that Hepp slid for much the same reason (feet, not knees).

We celebrated at the time.
We also may have encouraged the rumours.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons »

Daisy, based on the clown show we’ve seen of the past 20 seasons. Xavier may react with a deal to counteract the Suns.
Maybe: Offer Heppell a 5 year deal as captain of Essendon to 2027, followed up with guaranteed head coaching succession role
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

bpdons wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:40 pm Daisy, based on the clown show we’ve seen of the past 20 seasons. Xavier may react with a deal to counteract the Suns.
Maybe: Offer Heppell a 5 year deal as captain of Essendon to 2027, followed up with guaranteed head coaching succession role
:D :D :D :D :D :D
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

Daisy..1 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:35 pm
Mason Redmond as Captain and Laverde as vice. There we have some leadership.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

Apparently Heppa tore strips off Barham when he met with the players this morning. Ripped into him about the lack of respect and treatment of Truck.

Good.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

bpdons wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:40 pm Daisy, based on the clown show we’ve seen of the past 20 seasons. Xavier may react with a deal to counteract the Suns.
Speaking of roles in the future, but a little off-topic for this thread - Hurley was offered a role at the Club - I wonder how that plays out if Rutten goes :-k
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Windy Hille wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:22 pm Apparently Heppa tore strips off Barham when he met with the players this morning. Ripped into him about the lack of respect and treatment of Truck.

Good.
Yes indeed. Heps and Truck have a lot in common. Very caring and nurturing. Just what we need for 2023 :D
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

The ultimate clubman, Dyson Heppell will remain in the red and black for the remainder of his career after agreeing to play on for at least one more year.

Named successor to Jobe Watson as captain in 2017, Heppell has been the inspirational leader of the football club and is universally respected for his commitment and care to the Essendon Football Club.

The 30-year-old played his milestone 200 AFL game earlier this season against Sydney at the SCG. Of his 213 games to date, 107 were as captain.

Hailing from Leongatha, the Bombers drafted Heppell from the Gippsland Power with pick No.8 in the 2010 National Draft. He went on to make his debut in round one of the following year.

In 2011, Heppell became the first Essendon player to win the NAB Rising Star award, after polling 44 of the possible 45 votes.

His career achievements include All-Australian honours in 2014 and Club Best and Fairest Crichton Medallist in the same year, selection in the 2015 International Rules Series, Crichton Medal runner-up (2012, 2018), Crichton Medal third place (2013, 2015, 2017), Adam Ramanauskas Most Courageous Player (2021), John Heymanson Best Clubman (2013, 2014, 2015, 2017), John Kilby Staff and Trainers' Award (2018, 2019).

Heppell said he was thrilled to be seeing out his AFL career as a one-club player.

“It has been one of the greatest honours of my life to captain the club I grew up supporting. The Essendon Football Club is my second home, and to see out my playing career here as a one-club player is incredibly special,” Heppell said.

“Although this year has been tough, I have real belief in our playing group and I’m committed to continuing to support the growth of this program. I look forward to working with our new coach and putting in a big pre-season together as we build towards 2023.”

General Manager of list and recruiting Adrian Dodoro said Heppell’s re-signing was important.

“Dyson is an instrumental figure at our football club and we’re so pleased that we will see him play out the remainder of his career at our club,” Dodoro said.

“It is universally known how selfless and caring Dyson as a person is, and he has always done what he thinks is best for the team.

“Dyson’s recommitment to the Club shows just how driven he is to take this club forward in 2023, and he remains incredibly important to our football program, both on and off the field.”

It must be a concern when the person from the club commending the re-signing is the "under fire" recruitment manager and not the Director of Footy or the President.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

From Twitter

Sam Edmund
@Sammy__Edmund
Dyson Heppell's one-year contract for 2023 involves a coaching deal post-career.
I understand there's a two-year agreement to stay involved with the club, off-field, after he hangs up the boots.

Oh dear.

Perhaps he can instruct the players how to talk to the media about how nasty the knockers from out membership are...
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

From Twitter

Sam Edmund
@Sammy__Edmund
Dyson Heppell's one-year contract for 2023 involves a coaching deal post-career.
I understand there's a two-year agreement to stay involved with the club, off-field, after he hangs up the boots.

Oh dear.

Perhaps he can instruct the players how to talk to the media about how nasty the mean members are...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

One of the most deflating announcements this club has delivered in many years.
Essendunny
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

I tend to disagree.

Heppell leaving in these circumstances never sat quite right.

He may have his shortcomings but he bleeds black and red. Losing the captaincy will be good for him.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber