EFC Fun Facts

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

EFC Fun Facts

Post by BenDoolan »

Finals winning drought...

Between 1968 Preliminary Final win to 1983 Elimination Final win = 334 matches

Between 2004 Elimination Final win to [f*** knows when] = 336 matches, and counting...

:-"
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Re: EFC Fun Facts

Post by Windy_Hill »

Thank god for the Sheedy Years
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Windy_Hill wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:31 am Thank god for the Sheedy Years
And Coleman,plus Reynolds years.Whatever we saw,it’s an era or 3 to be proud of.

Despite all our Gloom and doom(rightfully justified),we do have a few things up our sleeve,to tap the Scum and filth mobs on the shoulder about.They’re both behind us and hell,Toss in Melbourne on total Flags Won.That’s two things that always seem to escape their tiny minds. :lol:
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

Those of us who are old enough to remember the Sheedy years and the fabulous 2000 grand final, have memories galore. Its incredible to think we have almost twenty years of supporters who have never seen the club playing at its very best.

Let's hope it is not too much longer before we achieve some success in that barren area.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

More fun facts...

In EFC history, there has only been a total of 3 decades that have not yielded a premiership;

1930 - 1939
1970 - 1979
2010 - 2019
Essendunny
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

BenDoolan wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:58 pm More fun facts...

In EFC history, there has only been a total of 3 decades that have not yielded a premiership;

1930 - 1939
1970 - 1979
2010 - 2019
Records are made to be broken....
Surely we can go the next decade without a premiership vingertje

Oh, wait, just noticed, it's every 40 years....so apparently we WILL win one in the next decade. Yayy 8-[
Crazyman
Champion of Essendon

Post by Crazyman »

nudder12 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:14 am

1930 - 1939
1970 - 1979
2010 - 2019

Oh, wait, just noticed, it's every 40 years....so apparently we WILL win one in the next decade. Yayy 8-[
Lucky we won in 2000 avoiding 2 ‘decades’ in a row 🙄
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Crazyman wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:40 pm
nudder12 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:14 am

1930 - 1939
1970 - 1979
2010 - 2019

Lucky we won in 2000 avoiding 2 ‘decades’ in a row 🙄
Eggzackery!
Essendunny
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Happy New Year BT’ers! 🥳

More fun facts to digest... 🍽

In the past 52 years post John Coleman coaching era (and excluding Kevin Sheedy’s 27 years as coach), we have won 1 final (1968 Prelim), and lost 10 (‘68 Semi, ‘68 GF, ‘72 Elim, ‘73 Elim, ‘79 Elim, ‘09 Elim, ‘11 Elim, ‘14 Elim, ‘17 Elim, ‘19 Elim).

Nobody should ever knock Sheeds. He’s given us 23 finals wins (4 flags) and 20 finals losses in his 27 years. The other 25 have been phenomenally abysmal.
Essendunny
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

BenDoolan wrote: Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:54 pm Happy New Year BT’ers! 🥳

More fun facts to digest... 🍽

In the past 52 years post John Coleman coaching era (and excluding Kevin Sheedy’s 27 years as coach), we have won 1 final (1968 Prelim), and lost 10 (‘68 Semi, ‘68 GF, ‘72 Elim, ‘73 Elim, ‘79 Elim, ‘09 Elim, ‘11 Elim, ‘14 Elim, ‘17 Elim, ‘19 Elim).

Nobody should ever knock Sheeds. He’s given us 23 finals wins (4 flags) and 20 finals losses in his 27 years. The other 25 have been phenomenally abysmal.
It’s no coincidence that our efforts over the last two decades coincide with a recruiting failure on a catastrophic level.

I simply don’t get why Dodoro has a job. Has not produced a single, career spanning elite midfielder or forward during his watch. Is it any wonder we simply make up the numbers. The closest we have got to such players would be Jobe and Joe and both are F/S products who have had moments of glory but never across the entirety of their respective careers.
Rover99
Regular Senior Player

Post by Rover99 »

Its almost as though Dudoro is secretely in the pay of our opposion. 8)
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

I follow a Premier League Club that hasn’t Won a League Championship/Premiership in 29 years.

Lucky,there’s been other ways to Win a Trophy.

17 Trophies to be precise.

Just a wee bit short on the “Bread and Butter!”

With Apologies to Shanks!
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Unfortunately we have No Ressies or Pre - Season trophies since 2000,to relieve our pain.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

grassy1 wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:00 am Unfortunately we have No Ressies or Pre - Season trophies since 2000,to relieve our pain.
Hang on... we do have an eSports PREMIERSHIP!

What a great achievement in the world of make believe 8)
Essendunny
desmondo
Regular Senior Player

Post by desmondo »

I recall after the 2000 flag, shaking my sons hand, hugging him, and then looking him in the eyes and telling him to enjoy this feeling because you don`t know when it will come around again. Not for one fkng moment did I foresee the upcoming/current drought. :evil:

I firmly believe that the MAIN factor for our current predicament (and I know no-body wants to mention 'the past' or that fkng saga) BUT the facts remain that since the shit hit the fan when it did, we have gone down-hill, big time. The sleaze bags that planned, schemed and conspired to bring it to fruition the way they did, had one aim in mind, to bring this great club to it`s knees AND, kick the f*** out of it when it is down. The hatred (of especially one man for our club, we all know who) was purely aimed at making us ordinary (f***, lesser clubs would have folded under the circumstances we endured). In its entirerty, it fkng well succeeded. :evil:

What shits me still (I`m old and tend to hold grudges :wink: ) is the ease in which they were able to do what they did AND get away with it so arrogantly, and not to have to answer the 'hard' questions. Personally I wish SOME-ONE, ANY-FKNG-ONE had been found to have ANYTHING/SOMETHING illegal in their system, I would have wanted every bastard at the club hung from the windy hill flag poles.

Sorry for going on and mentioning the 'unmentionable', but if we are looking for reasons for our current situation, I believe that fkng saga is the MAIN reason for our current position. Of course there are OTHER reasons as well, but...

I believe that without that event in our history we would still be a powerhouse in the competition, and wouldn`t that be pissing off some people...

Apologies to all for re-igniting old subjects.
Windy_Hill
Champion of Essendon

Post by Windy_Hill »

The drug saga didn’t help. But for me, the biggest problem has been a big successful Club unable to come to terms with its own mortality. Arrogance and misguided self belief that placed them above criticism and judgement. A false belief that anything they do will work. A lack of humility and self awareness as a sporting organization.

It really started with the shambolic removal of Sheedy without a sensible succession plan. At the time the club still had the remnants of the 2000 team and they thought they could still go one more time. Hogwash. That team was dead in 2004 when it lost to Geelong in the semi final.

Hiring Matthew Knights to fill the unfillable shoes was a disaster waiting to happen. Should have gone for a hard nosed experienced coach to keep the lids on egos. Knights never stood a chance with the likes of Lloyd, Lucas and Fletcher still running the show. Just as Moyes failed after Sir Alex Ferguson at Manchester United so did Knights. Then, like United, came the coaching merry go round. Disruptive, ever changing philosophies and game plans. The drug saga then reared its head and the rest is history. If nothing else, Worsfold has overseen the gradual elimination of older players from the Knights era and subsequently the last days of the Drug Banned 34. Perhaps we will rediscover what it takes now that the rubbish has been thrown out and the house is once again clean.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Windy_Hill wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:01 pm It really started with the shambolic removal of Sheedy without a sensible succession plan. At the time the club still had the remnants of the 2000 team and they thought they could still go one more time. Hogwash. That team was dead in 2004 when it lost to Geelong in the semi final.
It started with the board in 2001 when they approved the on-selling of three key players for salary cap reasons but didn't seek to renegotiate the excessive contracts of Lloyd and Hirdy and about the same time, came up with the KPI for Sheedy of making the finals each year (which we did, but never again made a serious tilt for the Grand final).
Last edited by s'dreams on Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

Fun Fact...

We have not finished higher than 7th since 2002.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Oooerrrrr,’tis enough to put one off yer Tea! :-& :( :roll:
BERT
Champion of Essendon

Post by BERT »

BenDoolan wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:28 pm Fun Fact...

We have not finished higher than 7th since 2002.
If they had the final 5 system still we wouldn’t have made the finals in nearly 20 years.