Heppell

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Heppell

Post by boncer34 »

Been offered more money and years by the Suns.

Thanks for the memories Dys.
Essendon Football Club- We arent arrogant, just deluded.
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Re: Heppell

Post by tonysoprano »

At his best - a super player. Unfortunately well past it now. Good luck Dyson.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

They have rocks in their head. 4 years? lol

I guess we get good compensation for that?

Thanks Dyso. All the best for the future 8)
Essendunny
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

BenDoolan wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:37 am They have rocks in their head. 4 years? lol

I guess we get good compensation for that?

Thanks Dyso. All the best for the future 8)
2 playing, 2 coach.
boncer34
Champion of Essendon

Post by boncer34 »

If he goes hope we know before the last game.
juff
Top Up Player

Post by juff »

boncer34 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:59 am Been offered more money and years by the Suns.

Sounds like a win-win for both clubs if we get a compensation pick out of it.

It was always going to be awkward telling the team captain that he may not be in the best 22 any more. This deal would be a better way for him to further his AFL career and I wish him the best of luck if it does eventuate. He's always been a top bloke and has cheerfully carried quite a load for this club.

With Dyson gone, that would leave just Hurley as the last survivor from the supplements debacle ...
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

juff wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:32 pm
boncer34 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 9:59 am Been offered more money and years by the Suns.

Sounds like a win-win for both clubs if we get a compensation pick out of it.

It was always going to be awkward telling the team captain that he may not be in the best 22 any more. This deal would be a better way for him to further his AFL career and I wish him the best of luck if it does eventuate. He's always been a top bloke and has cheerfully carried quite a load for this club.

With Dyson gone, that would leave just Hurley as the last survivor from the supplements debacle ...
And Hurley will most likely play R23 in a farewell game.
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

He was only offered a one year extension with us.

I think it was pretty clear he wasn't going to be captain next year on that sort of deal
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
gringo
Club Captain

Post by gringo »

No doubt he'll have a career best year after he heads north. They'll give him a Hong Kong hose down on arrival and he'll be right as rain. The filth that all Essendon players carry on them will be gone.
Like sand through the hour glass, so are the days at the Essendon Football Club.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Offering him just one year is effectively a public sacking from the captaincy. Kind of piss poor on our behalf.

His heart is in the right place but I don't think he's been that effective as a player or leader. No doubt getting away from Bomberland will give him a new lease of life.

Great first year. He didn't develop enough after that IMHO
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

MH_Bomber wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:59 pm Offering him just one year is effectively a public sacking from the captaincy. Kind of piss poor on our behalf.

His heart is in the right place but I don't think he's been that effective as a player or leader. No doubt getting away from Bomberland will give him a new lease of life.

Great first year. He didn't develop enough after that IMHO
He is one of the last of the Essendon 34 still at the club (only Hurley is still on the list)

He never was the same after that..

Hopefully this (the saga) will not be an issue for much longer. It has cast a really really long shadow.
Last edited by s'dreams on Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

I have never been comfortable bagging Essendon skippers. I have been lucky to see some of the most inspiring players perform as captains for the Dons, from Jack Clarke, Kenny Fraser and Barry Davis from back in the day, Simon, the Danihers and the Watsons, Bomber, James, Gary etc. The team would walk through walls for these blokes…they were utterly fearless and inspirational and command respect from not only our own, but the opposition as well.
I just did not see or feel these characteristics in Dyson. A more than useful player especially early on in his career who would not hesitate to back into a pack or take a hit for a team mate. However, when a game was meant to be won, he was unable to inject himself into the game as Hirdy or TD would and be able to carry the team across the line. He was skipper during the worst crisis the team has ever faced an no doubt played a major role in getting the team through an awful mess. He is no doubt a terrific bloke and has been a great ambassador for the club when our name was shit.
I wish him well if he moves on. As Truck said yesterday, he owes the club nothing and could leave the club with a clear conscience.
I hope his replacement can bring the “X” factor to the captaincy which, unfortunately, Heppell was unable to provide.
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

If Dyson is being offered 2x2 by the Suns and more money to go there, why wouldn't he want to secure his future for himself and partner. Would be mad not to and really his time at Essendon is finished.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Two layers to Heppell of course.

1. The player. He's had an ok year, some good games and some not so good (Anzac Day). His turnovers and kicking At his age and skill set a one year offer is appropriate.
2. Leadership/captaincy. Leadership appears overtly shallow for this team. The captaincy alternatives aren't clearly obvious. Redman has the fire and effort, Ridley has the smarts and poise, Merrett I'm unsure of...Peter Wright? Left field...Laverde. Has ticker, gives his all.

However what we can't see and measure is the covert behaviours in the meetings, in the rooms, around the track, the subtle stuff that makes a difference.

We've seen McGrath on mic a bit lately, maybe as a precursor to the future? He seems to have something along captaincy lines but he needs to be something more.

Is it time for 2 captains for this team? Share the load, an amalgamation of style and playing/people skills?
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Very sad that the supplement saga had such an affect on Heppell’s career. He gave his all but that didn’t seem to translate to on field success. Good luck to him in the sunny pastures on the Gold Coast.

Two captains is a good move. McGrath and Redman are my picks.

Also big call now but I can see the makings of a future great Essendon captain in Ben Hobbs.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
rockhole
Champion of Essendon

Post by rockhole »

Does Zerret carry too much baggage???
Too far for Baker now he's on to it, now he’s got it, OPEN GOAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Dons are in front by one point at the 8 minute mark
tonysoprano
Club Captain

Post by tonysoprano »

MH_Bomber wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:55 am
Also big call now but I can see the makings of a future great Essendon captain in Ben Hobbs.
Love this call. Kid has what it takes.
mdso
Club Captain

Post by mdso »

Heppell has had a couple of very good offers from other clubs. Better than what EFC is offering.
No one I'm sure would begrudge Dyson moving to another club under those circumstances. Being a one club player doesn't mean much these days, certainly not like it once did. Players are wanting to sure up their future. Playing career's are short, injuries happen often, a player must have enough nouse to look after themselves and their future after playing footy. Good luck Dyson.
Nothing usually happens until something happens.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

……and let’s not forget in the process,that managers are trying to shore up their bank balances as well,…. :-"
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

I watched in amazement last night when Jake Melksham played an epic game to get the Demons over the line. He’s desperate to play in a premiership, and it shows.

He’s of similar age to Dyso. I get the feeling that Heppa can play on, but only at a club that is in that premiership window. Having a clunk of very good players around him will ease the expectation he has playing with us.

Will be interesting to see what happens.

He is a great bloke. He loves the club. He’s given everything of himself, and carried a massive load. Whatever he decides, I wish him well.