Out of Contract Status

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Out of Contract Status

Post by dodgey »

Darcy Parish, Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, Harrison Jones, Massimo D’Ambrosio, Patrick Voss, Nick Bryan, Will Snelling, Jaiden Hunter, Jye Menzie, Rhett Montgomerie, Cian McBride and Alastair Lord are currently without contracts for 2024.

We know of the Parish situation
BZT apparently out the door
Menzie apparently close to signing on
I think with Flipper retiring we need to keep Bryan
Jones "maybe" on a 1yr deal

The rest I suspect won't be around in 2024.

And I think a few maybe on the trade table like Stewart has been told..

Thoughts ?
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Re: Out of Contract Status

Post by BenDoolan »

My thoughts are this…

Everyone to be put on one year contracts so they need to prove themselves to keep getting them. If they are confident in their own ability, and have a work ethic to give 110% of yourself, it wouldn’t be a problem. But for the lazy mofos they are, they want to have the security of 5-6 years deals.

GAGF I say.
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

BenDoolan wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:01 pm My thoughts are this…

Everyone to be put on one year contracts so they need to prove themselves to keep getting them. If they are confident in their own ability, and have a work ethic to give 110% of yourself, it wouldn’t be a problem. But for the lazy mofos they are, they want to have the security of 5-6 years deals.

GAGF I say.
The trouble is the really lazy and arrogant MoFos are on 2 or 3 (or even longer) contracts.

Stringer, Kelly and Weiderman just to name 3.

At least Stringer was publicly told to put in a preseason and come back in better shape than he did last year.

I suspect there are more.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

I’d be devo losing BZT. We have nurtured and developed him to becoming a reliable tall defender. He’d be a big loss. But, I guess the go home factor might be too strong for him, sadly.

Surely the club and Pazza can come to terms. The fact that they are in deep negotiations means he wants to hang around , otherwise he could just do a Daniher and say I’m outta here Zootho.

Nicko Bryan is a must keep considering Flippy retired.

Vossinator I fear is on the way out. If he couldn’t crack a game this year, then I can’t see him getting a gig in future.

Doc Jones is an interesting one. Highly talented but highly injury prone. If his body is cactus, then it might be curtains. Sadly.

It appears Scotty isn’t a fan of MDA. I’d say he’s on thin ice. But I like the guy. Thought he’s pretty good skills wise.

Menzie will get a contract no problem. Had a good year. And there’s scope for improvement.

Snello will get another crack. He’s good value.

Jaiden Hunter just hasn’t had a look in. Gotta give him a crack at it once his back is mended.

The rest are going to struggle to gain another contract I feel.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Windy Hille wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:03 am I’d be devo losing BZT. We have nurtured and developed him to becoming a reliable tall defender. He’d be a big loss. But, I guess the go home factor might be too strong for him, sadly.

Surely the club and Pazza can come to terms. The fact that they are in deep negotiations means he wants to hang around , otherwise he could just do a Daniher and say I’m outta here Zootho.

Nicko Bryan is a must keep considering Flippy retired.

Vossinator I fear is on the way out. If he couldn’t crack a game this year, then I can’t see him getting a gig in future.

Doc Jones is an interesting one. Highly talented but highly injury prone. If his body is cactus, then it might be curtains. Sadly.

It appears Scotty isn’t a fan of MDA. I’d say he’s on thin ice. But I like the guy. Thought he’s pretty good skills wise.

Menzie will get a contract no problem. Had a good year. And there’s scope for improvement.

Snello will get another crack. He’s good value.

Jaiden Hunter just hasn’t had a look in. Gotta give him a crack at it once his back is mended.

The rest are going to struggle to gain another contract I feel.
Give him back to us,if he doesn’t look like getting a look in.Like before the start of 2024.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

I think it’s official (from the above list) with the following…

MDA
Lord
McBride
Montgomerie

goneski
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

The Marketing people made a bad call here. Lord is listed as having played one game, but he was the injury sub for his one game in 2022 and did not set foot on the ground.

A bit embarrassing all round really.
Essendon Football Club has today informed Alastair Lord, Rhett Montgomerie and Cian McBride they will not be offered playing contracts for 2024.

The club thanks all three players for their services to Essendon.

Lord arrived at Essendon in 2021 with selection 46 in the NAB AFL Draft and played one game for the club in 2022.

Gaelic football convert Cian McBride joined the Bombers in 2019 under the AFL international rookie rules. McBride spent his junior years playing Gaelic football but made the switch to Australian Football at the beginning of 2019, impressing at the NAB AFL Draft Combine and AFL Europe training sessions. In 2022, the AFL granted special exemption to keep the Category B Rookie beyond his third season due to COVID disruptions.

Montgomerie was selected with pick four in the 2022 NAB AFL rookie draft, selected as a mature aged recruit out of South Australia.

McBride and Montgomerie did not play a senior AFL game.

General Manager of Performance Daniel McPherson thanked Lord, Montgomerie and McBride for their contribution to Essendon.

“The three players have been terrific club people and handled the news today with great professionalism," McPherson said.

"We wish them all the best for their future careers, and they will always be welcome back at Essendon."
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

McBride was a category B rookie who clearly hasn't made the step over to AFL

Montgomerie was a rookie selection so there is no implications for contract payouts

I assume MDA is Massimo D'Ambrosio. Pity, he showed a few flashes and some potential, but I understand his knees are shot.

Voss is sill in with a chance to stay. Happy about that.

Hard to make an assessment about Jones apart from him appearing to be the new Scott Gumbleton. I would consider a 1 year contract with performance clauses that trigger a contract renewal (say 8 senior games)
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

BenDoolan wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:07 pm I think it’s official (from the above list) with the following…

MDA
Lord
McBride
Montgomerie

goneski
Not quite.
Lord, McBride & Montgomerie are gone (surprised at Montgomerie)
And Stewart is gone even though he had a year remaining on his contract.
D'Ambrosio not yet delisted, although plenty of rumours he'll be traded. But since he did his knee it's gone a bit quiet.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Baldwin has supposedly agreed to a 2 year contract extension.

Bryan along with Jones signed one last week.

Very very happy with those two.

No news still on BZT though. Also waiting on Voss.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:09 pm Baldwin has supposedly agreed to a 2 year contract extension.

Bryan along with Jones signed one last week.

Very very happy with those two.

No news still on BZT though. Also waiting on Voss.
Will be interesting re: BZT. Port are likely to get Ratugolea, so how will they get BZT?
Essendunny
F111
Essendon Legend

Post by F111 »

Munkara returning home.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

F111 wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:15 am Munkara returning home.
Wasn’t offered a contract.

Don’t understand this one…
Essendunny
dodgey
Champion of Essendon

Post by dodgey »

BenDoolan wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:24 am

I believe he was happy to NOT receive a contract as he wouldn't have known how to turn it down..
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Very surprised at us not retaining Munkara.

Was it a case of homesickness?
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

It's a bit weird.
Got the sense he wanted to go home.
But then again, if that was true, why did the club say "not offered a contract"??
Anyway, I don't really think he'll be missed.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

Looks like Menzie and D'Ambrosio will be with us in 2024

In a tweet today, the Club said..."Another pre-season under the belt coming up for these two."
Although they didn't actually say they had new contracts.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

nudder12 wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:31 pm

It's a bit weird.
Got the sense he wanted to go home.
But then again, if that was true, why did the club say "not offered a contract"??
Anyway, I don't really think he'll be missed.
He was a Cat B rookie so it wasn't as if it was costing much or causing issues with spaces on the list. He was also identified as a long term project player.

Agreed weird.
MH_Bomber
Club Captain

Post by MH_Bomber »

Did they not think he had the talent?

I believe he did. It's a bit annoying there is no explanation whatsoever about this.
Menzie!! ❤️

Things go awry without Jye!!

Regards

MH_Bomber
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

MH_Bomber wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:40 pm Did they not think he had the talent?

I believe he did. It's a bit annoying there is no explanation whatsoever about this.
Can't recall the journo that reported it, but it was said that he wasn't coping well with the big city lifestyle and wanted to go home.
Still, as I said, it's weird for the Club to say "not offered a contract" if that was the case.