2024 R17, EFC v Collingwood

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

2024 R17, EFC v Collingwood

Post by BenDoolan »

OUT: S. Draper (omit), J. Menzie (omit), A. Perkins (omit)

IN: N. Bryan, W. Setterfield, N. Caddy
Essendunny
nudder12
Club Captain

Re: 2024 R17, EFC v Collingwood

Post by nudder12 »

OUT: Goldstein (omit), Draper (omit), Menzie (omit), Perkins (omit), Guelfi (omit)

IN: Bryan, Caddy, Kelly, Shiel, J.Davey
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Strong rumor that Shiel will be selected for the Collingwood game.

The media is reporting that Shiel's game against the Pie's very depleted VFL team, (he had 33 disposals, six clearances and six tackles)was the impetus to bring him back.

On that basis, Tsatas should never be dropped (38 disposals and 3 tackles) ... yet he is struggling every time he gets on the AFL field.

Bryan (26 disposals, 45 hit outs, 13 clearances and a goal) should also never be dropped.... yet he only gets 1 game so far this year.

Hobbs and Caddy didn't even get a game last week in the VFL to work on their craft and show their wares.

The policy of sticking with a Dad's army of senior players and under-performing favorites as well as running some players out of position ... has resulted in three wins in the past 6 matches ... with the wins being close ones against the bottom two teams in the league.

It is all doing my head in.
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:00 am Strong rumor that Shiel will be selected for the Collingwood game.

The media is reporting that Shiel's game against the Pie's very depleted VFL team, (he had 33 disposals, six clearances and six tackles)was the impetus to bring him back.

On that basis, Tsatas should never be dropped (38 disposals and 3 tackles) ... yet he is struggling every time he gets on the AFL field.

Bryan (26 disposals, 45 hit outs, 13 clearances and a goal) should also never be dropped.... yet he only gets 1 game so far this year.

Hobbs and Caddy didn't even get a game last week in the VFL to work on their craft and show their wares.

The policy of sticking with a Dad's army of senior players and under-performing favorites as well as running some players out of position ... has resulted in three wins in the past 6 matches ... with the wins being close ones against the bottom two teams in the league.

I watched a chunk of the game last week… and while DS got a lot of the ball… there were moments when he didn’t have it that annoyed me. It’s the same old story… refusing to chase… or putting in a limp effort in doing so. It is really bad. That has always been the issue with him, and it will never change.
Essendunny
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

BenDoolan wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 12:35 pm
s'dreams wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 11:00 am Strong rumor that Shiel will be selected for the Collingwood game.

I watched a chunk of the game last week… and while DS got a lot of the ball… there were moments when he didn’t have it that annoyed me. It’s the same old story… refusing to chase… or putting in a limp effort in doing so. It is really bad. That has always been the issue with him, and it will never change.
Good god,does it need a few Park footballers to tell these so called professionals,that full bore pressure on opposition players is precisely what you do!

ALL THE TIME!!!!!

LIKE HEAT SEEKING MISSILES!!!!!
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

In: Dylan Shiel, Jake Kelly, Nate Caddy
OUT: Dyson Heppell (Managed), Todd Goldstein (Managed), Jye Menzie (Omitted)

Wasn't expecting Goldy and Heppell to be dropped. But not unhappy about it.

Sadly, Caddy is likely to be sub.

Hobbs is emergency again. He needs a game at least in the VFL. He hasn't played a match since before the AFL bye.

Perkins and to a lesser extent Jones are lucky to retain their spots.

Just looked up Jones's Stats.

This year, he is averaging (from 13 games) 0.8 goals a game and has kicked a max of 2 goals twice this year. He has gone goalless 5 times this year.

In his first year (2021) from 16 games, he kicked an average of 1.2 goals a match, and he kicked 3 goals in a game twice and 2 goals 5 times.
In his second year (2022), from 10 games, he kicked an average of 1.3 goals a match and kicked 2 goals in a game 5 times
In the 3rd year (2023), from 5 games, he kicked an average of 0.4 goals a match and a total of 2 goals for the year.

He is due a big one/needs to lift his season.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:31 pm In: Dylan Shiel, Jake Kelly, Nate Caddy

Hobbs is emergency again. He needs a game at least in the VFL. He hasn't played a match since before the AFL bye.

This year, he is averaging (from 13 games) 0.8 goals a game and has kicked a max of 2 goals twice this year. He has gone goalless 5 times this year.

In his first year (2021) from 16 games, he kicked an average of 1.2 goals a match, and he kicked 3 goals in a game twice and 2 goals 5 times.
In his second year (2022), from 10 games, he kicked an average of 1.3 goals a match and kicked 2 goals in a game 5 times
In the 3rd year (2023), from 5 games, he kicked an average of 0.4 goals a match and a total of 2 goals for the year.

I reckon Jones was just about BOG at half time last week. If it wasn’t for a calf issue in the 2nd half, he would have got votes IMO.

I’ve been impressed with his work on the wing.
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

BenDoolan wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:39 pm
s'dreams wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:31 pm In: Dylan Shiel, Jake Kelly, Nate Caddy

I reckon Jones was just about BOG at half time last week. If it wasn’t for a calf issue in the 2nd half, he would have got votes IMO.

Well with Cox, Duursma, Gresham, Perkins and Jones ... instead of 2, we need 4 wings on the oval to win.

Need goalkickers. With Moore on 2MP, Maynard on Langford and Howe on Jones (named at CHF) ... and Hind, Guelfi and Stringer named in the forwardline, we are in the doodoo goalkicker wise.

Stringer might kick 0 or a handful ... and Hind as a forward????????????
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

s'dreams wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:28 pm
BenDoolan wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 7:39 pm

Well with Cox, Duursma, Gresham, Perkins and Jones ... instead of 2, we need 4 wings on the oval to win.

Need goalkickers. With Moore on 2MP, Maynard on Langford and Howe on Jones (named at CHF) ... and Hind, Guelfi and Stringer named in the forwardline, we are in the doodoo goalkicker wise.

Stringer might kick 0 or a handful ... and Hind as a forward????????????
Gresham & Perkins aren't wingers, that leaves 3. Allowing for rotations, that's about right.
But having Cox & Jones as 2 of them makes us a bit slow. Reckon we're missing Durham's influence on a wing. And Kelly on a wing is no substitute.
As much as we need goalkickers, we need a smallish goalkicker or 2.
I think Cox gets the gig for sub this week, again. I wouldn't usually choose someone as sub 2 weeks running but he seems the best "fit" because we surely can't play most of the game so Tall against the Pies.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

It’s the sum total of all the little things you can never really put your finger on in regards to selection. Knee deep in the hoopla for want of a better term.

What’s going on with the Hobbs lad? I don’t know why they don’t give Bryza a good crack at it. His form demands it!

Glad Caddyshack is back. Let him loose! Poppy Cox will either be the subbo or Shielsy.

Going to be a frenzy tomorrow night. The role of each player needs to be executed with great intensity. No flim flam!
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

If we stop Jaicos... we win.
If they stop Merrett ... they win.

We also need to go direct to the goal square, not to the boundary.

Currently running at 35% accuracy kicking for goal.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Yay!!!

But Gee I was nervous.

Who decided that Draper should go off after he was dominating and Cameron was injured down in the rooms? That's when the pies started to come back.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

s'dreams wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:47 pm Yay!!!

But Gee I was nervous.

Who decided that Draper should go off after he was dominating and Cameron was injured down in the rooms? That's when the pies started to come back.
Pies started to come back when we decided - with 10 minutes to go - to play for the clock. Madness. I remember us doing it earlier in the year too, but can't recall which game it was.
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

A win's a win, and especially when we've been ordinary lately.
But I'm not getting too excited - I thought the Pies were pretty ordinary.
Apparently it was their 2nd lowest pressure rating since McRae took over. It showed.

Nice game by Caddy.
Really pleased for Shiel to have such a good game - 26 disposals, 6 clearances, anddddd....8 tackles (best on the ground). So don't tell me again he's lazy and doesn't defend. (Oh, and he only played 64% game time)
Caldwell was great.
Much better game by Draper.
Jones good again.
Merrett is an absolute star, so under-rated. His work rate is elite.
Perkins....you're thissss close to playing VFL.
Last edited by nudder12 on Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

nudder12 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 10:52 pm

But Gee I was nervous.

Pies started to come back when we decided - with 10 minutes to go - to play for the clock. Madness. I remember us doing it earlier in the year too, but can't recall which game it was.
Did some game late 2022 ring a bell?And again? :-&

Thankfully not this time!
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

grassy1 wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:00 pm

But Gee I was nervous.

After the game, Durham admitted it is something the team has to work on. Not going into their shell that is...

Agreed re Perkins, surprised it was Caddy and not Perkins that was subbed off.

Finally... Gee it's hard being a Bombers supporter. Shit one week, winners the next... and rinse and repeat in no particular order...
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

s'dreams wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:06 pm

But Gee I was nervous.

After the game, Durham admitted it is something the team has to work on. Not going into their shell that is...

Finally... Gee it's hard being a Bombers supporter. Shit one week, winners the next... and rinse and repeat in no particular order...
I'm sure Brad will be asked why Caddy was subbed out, and we'll know for sure (LOL). But it looked like he tweaked a knee or hammy there at one point, so maybe just being cautious with that???
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

s'dreams wrote: Fri Jul 05, 2024 11:06 pm

But Gee I was nervous.

Even harder for many Red and Blacks my way,since about 23/09/1978.
bpdons
High Draft Pick

Post by bpdons »

Want intending in going and was a late inclusion due to a sick friend.
I took my 15yo son to our first IRL win since I can remember. It was absolutely spectacular and hours after the game I’m still shaking with delight.
A lot of the ball was on our side this evening and from our perspective the guys hit packs & tackles hard. The extra efforts was noticeable and I haven’t been this happy after a result in a long long time. McGrath is just a work horse. Busted hit gut tonight to make contests and he played at elite level. As for Zerret. He’s in another league. That goal in the 1st minute set the tone in contrast to Perkins Carlton’s miss.

Glory days are here. Soap it up everyone!
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

That’s what it’s all abouuuuuuut!!!

What a crunching night :shock:

Absolutely stoked with this win. The club has finally seeeeeeeen the light. DO YOU SEE THE LIGHT????? THE BAND!!!!!!

Fantastic stuff =D>

Zacho, Duzz, Calders, Shielsy, Doc Jones, The Riddler… all fabulouso vingertje

Kicking still putty at times, but the grunt… Lovin’ the GRUNNNNT!

Caddyshacker… big future ahead this boy. A one step, a two step, a quick step, a thick step! A flyin’ high 8)