2024 R23, EFC v Sydney Swamps

Talk about everything Essendon. Past, Present and Future if it's about the Bombers this is the place to be.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

2024 R23, EFC v Sydney Swamps

Post by BenDoolan »

OUT: N. Cox (conc), K. Langford (omit), J. Gresham (omit), J. Menzie (omit), A. Davey Jnr (omit), J. Laverde (omit)

IN: S. El-Hawli, L. Hayes, W. Setterfield, E. Tsatas, P. Wright, T. Wanganeen
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Re: 2024 R23, EFC v Sydney Swamps

Post by s'dreams »

So Scott is operating on the premise that Essendon can win the next two games and that Hawthorn and Carlton will lose the next 2 games... Hawthorn against Richmond and Norf and Carlton against West Coast and St Kilda.

He has indicated Weiderman is more likely than Heppell to come in against Sydney to combat the 3 tall forwards they have.

I suspect failure to select Heppell, the former Captain of the club, for a farewell game at home... on the extreme off chance that we can make the finals... would gut many supportes as well an some players.

NewsWire

No guarantees for retiring champion
Story by Ed Bourke

Essendon coach Brad Scott will not guarantee retiring champion Dyson Heppell a farewell game and says the Bombers will pick “our best team” to finish the season.

The Bombers need to claim upset wins over Sydney and Brisbane and have other results fall their way to qualify for finals, but Scott said players remained “highly motivated” despite intense frustration at the one-point loss to Gold Coast on Saturday night.

Scott said Jordan Ridley (hip) was unlikely to return against the Swans at Marvel Stadium on Friday night, meaning the Bombers would need to turn elsewhere to replace the concussed Nik Cox.

Cox’s absence would potentially create a defensive spot for Heppell to fill and be farewelled by home fans against the Swans, but Scott said he was inclined to pick a taller option. “Sydney generally plays three key forwards and a ruck, so we think we need to replace Coxy like-for-like,” Scott said.

“(Heppell) has been really clear that he’s fit, ready, available to help the team in the best way that he can, whether that’s on-field as a player or supporting those who are playing.

“He’ll keep training and preparing at an elite level like he always has, and he’ll be ready if we pick him in our best team. He’s really clear that we pick our best team to win these next two games.”

Sam Weideman and mid-season recruit Saad El-Hawli played in the stronger backline during a match simulation at Tullamarine on Tuesday, while Heppell was on the opposing side.

Weideman, 27, is out of contract at the season’s end but appears ahead of untried tall defender Lewis Hayes in the queue for a spot as he fights to save his AFL career.

Scott said Ridley remained in the frame to play against Brisbane at the Gabba and would not be put in cotton wool while the Bombers’ season remained alive.

“I doubt it will be this week, but he’s pushing to be back and Matt Guelfi’s in that category as well,” Scott said.

“Other than the guys who have been long-term injured, we haven’t put a line through anyone because we’ve got to plan that we’ve got a fair bit of the season left, not just two games.”

The Essendon coach, who has spoken glowingly of Heppell’s character this season, said the former captain had told teammates he did not want to hold younger players in his position back.

“He did speak to the players about the fact that when he felt some players coming through were ready and able to play his role, he would know it was time to step away,” Scott said.

“It would’ve been very easy for him to put his personal ambition ahead of the club, but that’s the sort of person he is – he’s rare.

“In a lot of ways, it’s frustrating he hasn’t been able to enjoy the team success that he so richly deserves, but his legacy will be incredibly strong in terms of what he’s given this club.”

Scott expected Heppell would pursue opportunities outside of football despite having qualities that he said would make him an excellent coach.

“I suspect he’s got other things on the horizon, and his whole world will open up now in terms of opportunities. I think he might have bigger and broader aspirations than coaching,” he said.

“He’s universally loved at our club and clearly respected. He’s for a long time been the glue that’s held this place together.

“I said to the players that our game, and our clubs, give us more as individuals than we give to the game … I’m a really strong believer in that.

“But if I can think of anyone in football who’s given more to their club and the game than they’ve got from it, it’s Dyson Heppell.”
dices ad adepto futui (tell them to f*** off)
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

One thing’s for sure… the 521st ranked AFL player out of 521 players, will be picked.
Essendunny
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

s'dreams wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:25 pm So Scott is operating on the premise that Essendon can win the next two games and that Hawthorn and Carlton will lose the next 2 games... Hawthorn against Richmond and Norf and Carlton against West Coast and St Kilda.

He has indicated Weiderman is more likely than Heppell to come in against Sydney to combat the 3 tall forwards they have.

I suspect failure to select Heppell, the former Captain of the club, for a farewell game at home... on the extreme off chance that we can make the finals... would gut many supportes as well an some players.

NewsWire

Story by Ed Bourke

Essendon coach Brad Scott will not guarantee retiring champion Dyson Heppell a farewell game and says the Bombers will pick “our best team” to finish the season.

The Bombers need to claim upset wins over Sydney and Brisbane and have other results fall their way to qualify for finals, but Scott said players remained “highly motivated” despite intense frustration at the one-point loss to Gold Coast on Saturday night.

Scott said Jordan Ridley (hip) was unlikely to return against the Swans at Marvel Stadium on Friday night, meaning the Bombers would need to turn elsewhere to replace the concussed Nik Cox.

Cox’s absence would potentially create a defensive spot for Heppell to fill and be farewelled by home fans against the Swans, but Scott said he was inclined to pick a taller option. “Sydney generally plays three key forwards and a ruck, so we think we need to replace Coxy like-for-like,” Scott said.

“(Heppell) has been really clear that he’s fit, ready, available to help the team in the best way that he can, whether that’s on-field as a player or supporting those who are playing.

“He’ll keep training and preparing at an elite level like he always has, and he’ll be ready if we pick him in our best team. He’s really clear that we pick our best team to win these next two games.”

Sam Weideman and mid-season recruit Saad El-Hawli played in the stronger backline during a match simulation at Tullamarine on Tuesday, while Heppell was on the opposing side.

Weideman, 27, is out of contract at the season’s end but appears ahead of untried tall defender Lewis Hayes in the queue for a spot as he fights to save his AFL career.

Scott said Ridley remained in the frame to play against Brisbane at the Gabba and would not be put in cotton wool while the Bombers’ season remained alive.

“I doubt it will be this week, but he’s pushing to be back and Matt Guelfi’s in that category as well,” Scott said.

“Other than the guys who have been long-term injured, we haven’t put a line through anyone because we’ve got to plan that we’ve got a fair bit of the season left, not just two games.”

The Essendon coach, who has spoken glowingly of Heppell’s character this season, said the former captain had told teammates he did not want to hold younger players in his position back.

“He did speak to the players about the fact that when he felt some players coming through were ready and able to play his role, he would know it was time to step away,” Scott said.

“It would’ve been very easy for him to put his personal ambition ahead of the club, but that’s the sort of person he is – he’s rare.

“In a lot of ways, it’s frustrating he hasn’t been able to enjoy the team success that he so richly deserves, but his legacy will be incredibly strong in terms of what he’s given this club.”

Scott expected Heppell would pursue opportunities outside of football despite having qualities that he said would make him an excellent coach.

“I suspect he’s got other things on the horizon, and his whole world will open up now in terms of opportunities. I think he might have bigger and broader aspirations than coaching,” he said.

“He’s universally loved at our club and clearly respected. He’s for a long time been the glue that’s held this place together.

“I said to the players that our game, and our clubs, give us more as individuals than we give to the game … I’m a really strong believer in that.

“But if I can think of anyone in football who’s given more to their club and the game than they’ve got from it, it’s Dyson Heppell.”
If Hepp doesn't get picked this week, the players will be ropable, so expect an 80 point loss.
But if Hepp does play, expect a 60 point loss.
DC2
Regular Senior Player

Post by DC2 »

s'dreams wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:25 pm So Scott is operating on the premise that Essendon can win the next two games and that Hawthorn and Carlton will lose the next 2 games... Hawthorn against Richmond and Norf and Carlton against West Coast and St Kilda.

NewsWire

Story by Ed Bourke

the fact scott thinks weideman in ANY way can help us win is extraordinary.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

In: Archie Perkins, Sam Weideman
Out: Nik Cox (inj), Alwyn Davey Jnr

Heppell not named as a sub. But club legend Weiderman gets his farewell game. Heppell will get a lap of honor before the game.

Menzie also keeps his spot, though I note he has re-signed a 1 year extension for 2025.

The club is calling this a "Must win crunch game" and that the two inclusions have been "Standout VFL performers".

This place is f*****.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

They’re taking the piss.
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Statistic Essendon Sydney
Disposals 212 173
Kicks 125 110
Handballs 87 63
Marks 56 52
Tackles 30 25
Hit-Outs 14 17
Frees For 12 4
Cont. Pos. 81 63
Clearances 19 15
Clangers 24 34

Dominating the play but.... But the most important stat - 37 inside 50s for Ess vs 18 for Sydney ... but 6 marks inside 50 for only 4 goals...

Nothing has changed from last week.
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Lousy 3rd Quarter.

Will set a straight watch on The Final Quarter and leave 'em to it!

Surprise Us Boys!

Give Sydney a taste of their Jag Arse Karma!
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

6 goals by Sydney to an insipid 1 goal response.

Horrible misses from Stringer, Gresham (x3) and Langford.

McKay, Gresham, Redman and Weiderman selling their teammates into trouble because they don't want the tackle against them in the stats column...

Weiderman and Kelly competing for worst on ground.

And the most disturbing, saddest thing ... Heeney doing a Parker and giving it to Durham who dropped his head in a contest.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

Thank f*** that is over.

Menzie was pathetic - 20 minutes on field, 2 kicks for 1 OOF.

Too many players went missing when the pressure was on. McKay and Shiel notable.
Too many players were just accumulating states and not taking the game on - notable Parish, McGrath, Redman.

A decision needs to be made on Stringer. Out of contract, yet playing like he doesn't give a shit. Missing from 20m out 2 weeks running? FMD.

Draper is not a forward.

Scott should apologise for Weiderman coming in. Shameful.

I just wonder how the coach who made a big deal over the "old Essendon" of being happy to turn up in a jumper for the money and Anzac day crowd ... is going to handle the team where at least 15 players just turned up for the money tonight.
BenDoolan
Essendon Legend

Post by BenDoolan »

s'dreams wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:41 pm 6 goals by Sydney to an insipid 1 goal response.

McKay, Gresham, Redman and Weiderman selling their teammates into trouble because they don't want the tackle against them in the stats column...

And the most disturbing, saddest thing ... Heeney doing a Parker and giving it to Durham who dropped his head in a contest.
Did he?

What about f****** Laverde pulling out of a marking contest in the D50? f****** weak as piss.

WTF is with that mofo Stringer? FFS… put him outside the boundary on the 50 metre arc on his non preferred side… and he kicks them all the time. 25 metres dead in front? Always misses that f***-wit
Essendunny
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

BenDoolan wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:29 pm
s'dreams wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 9:41 pm 6 goals by Sydney to an insipid 1 goal response.

Did he?

What about f****** Laverde pulling out of a marking contest in the D50? f****** weak as piss.

WTF is with that mofo Stringer? FFS… put him outside the boundary on the 50 metre arc on his non preferred side… and he kicks them all the time. 25 metres dead in front? Always misses that f***-wit
Stringer is not a professional. He simply doesn't work hard and he has big tabs on himself.

He doesn't care enough about repeatable consistent results.

He clearly believes that his one showstopper from every 3rd of 4th game outweighs kicking accurate and straight for simple shots.

Re Laverde - I didn't see that one. Might have to revisit my votes...
grassy1
Champion of Essendon

Post by grassy1 »

Silly me!Silly,Silly Me! :roll:
nudder12
Club Captain

Post by nudder12 »

s'dreams wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:24 pm
Too many players went missing when the pressure was on. McKay and Shiel notable.
No mention of Merrett?

Shiel won more of the footy in the first half than Merrett did for the whole game, but suffered when the Swans shut him down after half time.
Windy Hille
Regular Senior Player

Post by Windy Hille »

All sorts of frets was observed last night. In essence, we are not really that far away. While the flaws appeared throughout the game, we managed to stifle and submerge their ability to control the ball. Many stats indicate that. Time in our forward half vs theirs, f50 entries vs theirs, opportunities aplenty but failure to compose and capitalise. Instead it was a bit of decompose, combust and compost.

Tweaks. That’s all. A bit here, a bit there. Bit by bit, steady as she goes. A loss was uncomfortable in the end, but I felt these creets were taking it up to a seasoned on top of the table ensemble.

Crucial kicks went astray. Again. That hurts momentum and confidence in one hit. Turnover that can cost 2 goals in essence. It’s these basic things that can shift a fate of club from also-rans to absolute contenders. Nail them. Be elite. The hardest bit is getting the ball. Make the most of it when you get it.

The haphazard f50 entries needs to be addressed. What’s the system? Nothing looks cohesive or balanced. Not sure what’s happened in this space, but early days in the season you could see a plot with a number of lead patterns, link lapping, and tandem movements. Nothing of the sort at the moment. Who’s coaching them? This doesn’t help Nate Caddy either.

Anyway, praise for Archie Roberts. Has played 3 very good games. Thought he was up there amongst the best last night. Well played guru! Just goes in hard, has some deft moves, and is a clean user. Lots to like.

Nick Bryza also doing well in the ruck. Should now be a rock & roller from here on in. Tapwork is good, and moves well around the ground.

My man Kyle has had a poor second half of the season. But maybe that’s due to the haphazard ‘Lost in Space’ f50 mess that’s affecting his craft?

All in all, looking at things in totality, the biscuit tastes good, but it’s still a bit undercooked. Bit more time in the oven.

Felt a bit annoyed that Hepp wasn’t given a game last night - even as a subby.
s'dreams
Champion of Essendon

Post by s'dreams »

nudder12 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2024 12:39 am
s'dreams wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2024 10:24 pm
No mention of Merrett?

Shiel won more of the footy in the first half than Merrett did for the whole game, but suffered when the Swans shut him down after half time.
Merrett had Jordon on him all night. He is one of the best taggers in the AFL.

And to be fair - you can forgive Merrett having one off night. He has been an atlas carrying the team most of the year.